Thread: Council Update

Default Council Update

I just received this email from our council executive:

This is an FYI to all leaders and environmentalists involved with our program.

This email does not require any action, but I found it of interest and thought many of you may as well so I am passing it along.

Background
    The Beekeeping merit badge was offered from 1915 until 1995. From 1980 to 1994, the number of youth earning this merit badge ranged from 700 to 1,000 per year. That decline in interest eventually led to its demise in 1995.

Future
    After receiving input from youth members and review by merit badge volunteers and professionals, we have formulated a way to bring greater exposure of beekeeping to youth. The plan includes the following:

Emphasis of the importance of bees and their symbiotic relationship with humankind may be added to or enhanced in as many as eight existing merit badges.

Merit Badge - Estimated Revision Date

Environmental Science - 2011-2012

Pulp and Paper - 2011-2012

Bird Study - 2012-2013

Insect Study - 2012-2013

Forestry - 2013-2014

Plant Science - 2013-2014

Gardening - 2014-2015

Nature - 2014-2015

The first merit badge to receive the addition will be Environmental Science, which is requried for all Eagle Scouts. Annually, nearly 73,000 youth earn this merit badge.
    When fully integrated into the targeted merit badges, more than 100,000 Scouts each year will discover the importance of bees and beekeeping as part of a larger environmental picture.
    Beekeeping projects, such as working with a colony or harvesting honey, will be considered for addition to one or more existing merit badges so that highly motivated youth members can use their beekeeping activities to help fulfill merit badge requirements.

We believe this plan will increase the awareness of honeybees and their critical impact on our environment, and prepare America's young people to help care for this important natural resource.

Default Re: Council Update

I'm not sure what to think about that. Sounds like a lengthy way to say "no" to reinstating the merit badge for beekeeping. However, if they added significant new beekeeping stuff to one of the existing badges (such as Insect Study) this could turn into a beekeeping merit badge with a different name.

The likely problem is that if they just slightly beef up the Insect Study badge in the honey bee department, then it does not realistically expose many boys to beekeeping as a separate activity.

I will try to get ahold of Christopher to see if he knows anything else.

Neil

Neil,

I just received a reply from National with the same results as mentioned above. They have made the decision to move forward with the schedule as noted. I am also aware of the political, self motivational interest of some scout executives, who may not have the interest of scouts at heart. I make that statement from personal perspective.

They stated, that maybe in the future, it would be reviewed again, but they are pressing forward with the segmented plan for now.

I feel truly sorry for the Scout who put all this hard effort into this project. But know I am still envolved at the Council level, and have been able to start mentoring two scouts in beekeeping. Though they will not earn a merit badge for it, I hope they will find as much joy in the beekeeping adventure as I have.

Kind regards
    Stonefly7

Quote Originally Posted by Stonefly7 View Post
    Neil,

I feel truly sorry for the Scout who put all this hard effort into this project. But know I am still envolved at the Council level, and have been able to start mentoring two scouts in beekeeping. Though they will not earn a merit badge for it, I hope they will find as much joy in the beekeeping adventure as I have.

Kind regards
    I hope that Christopher is proud of what he has begun. We wouldnt be this close without him. I think we can still sway, possibly later, for more exposure of the boys with Beekeeping.
    I as well will get some mentoring in for the boys that wish it in our Troop this year.
    Thanks again Christopher and to all that have helped make this progress....

Bee Urself, I cannot agree more! I immediately signed up for my area, and Christopher can see that he has stirred a nest up and thousands will respond across our country!
    Congrats, Chris! You should get Eagle just for THIS community service!
    Thank you!

I have asked Christopher what he hopes to do for his Eagle after he's already done this. Seems like this should be plenty, but he's going to do something else. I don't know that he's decided what to do next. For now, he's going to keep working towards this project.

As an Eagle Scout myself, I appreciate the diversity of merit badge choices. I wish "Bee Keeping M.B." would be re-established. There is an extra note here I would like to make. Vocational Agriculture, offered in public schools, is a great way students can have honey bees as their school "ag" project/business. I'm just pointing out more choices for our future beeks.