Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is RAW

Default what is RAW

ok, so i searched raw and the site, for what ever reason, said no threads found.

So what constitutes raw honey. What level of filtering/straining/heating still is considered raw. I didn't do anything to my last honey but it formed a good skim ontop of the 30lb storage buckets and i would think most would not like this. No one seems to mind the chunks of wax and pollen but the scum on top is kinda nasty looking.

Thanks

Default Re: what is RAW

Your honey is raw then. You could strain it and it would still be raw.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by afss View Post
    ok, so i searched raw and the site, for what ever reason, said no threads found.

snip
    afss,

To do three character searches such as "raw" you need to use the Google search window here: http://www.beesource.com/

Here are results for "raw honey":

http://www.beesource.com/search-resu....com%252F#1512

I had a question about raw honey last week: http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247419
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Even strained, it is easier and you get the best honey from the bottom. Florida was the first state to define honey and several are following. For the paranoid, it was initiated to prevent the sale of relabeled Chinese sugar products as honey within Florida and companies that take junk honey and refine it with heat and fine filtration, eliminationg all the pollen and flavinoids that make honey different from sugar syrup (and disguise the country of origin).

Comb honey

Very fine wax floats to the top of the buckets. Just skim it off with a ladle. Having a spout in the bottom of the bucket helps also.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    For the paranoid
    It hardly seems like it's limited to the paranoid. From your description, to me it sounds like the intent of the law is pretty good....
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

The correct definition, as quoted from " The Honey Revolution" By Ron Fessenden, MD

page 148.

Raw Honey is honey that has not been heated or combined with diatomaceous earth and filtered through a micro-pore filter. Raw honey is pure honey. Nothing has been added or removed.

Note the heat thresshold is 140 degrees, after that the enzymes that offer health benefits are eleminated
    Larry Pender,Jubilee HoneyBee Company,Camarillo, CA

140 degrees
    Hold on to your hat!

I got hate mail when I mentioned 118 degrees...
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 10-12-2010 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Typo
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Little confused here....if alls you do is run it thru a paper or cloth filter before bottleing, does that make it no longer RAW honey?

The term raw main focus is on the handling tempature, max 140 degrees.
    Most beeks handle the raw honey at much lower temps. ie 90 to 120 degrees which keeps all the enzymes active.

I do have to remind customers that the bee hives itself stores the honey naturally between 90 and 95 degrees.

If you would like to sample a honey that has been heated and filtered, just purchase some sue bee honey at the grocery store.

One of the main purposes for doing this process, flash heating to 195 degrees and filtering with diatomaceous earth is to remove the crystaliztion process to keep the honey clear and pourable on the self.

I just call my honey "raw filtered honey". If that aint good enough for em, you know what.

Wow, I knew DE was used to clean beeswax but I sure didn't know it was put in honey! Yuck!

The book "The Honey Revolution" is very good although I have not finished it. On Page 150 another comment is "Heating honey may kill some of the heat-labile enzymes contained in honey."

Yes, yes, we know that enzymes are not living. Let's not go thru that again. I would like to note that many times military supplies, etc. are noted to be "live" and we all know that it does not mean "alive". Just like "kill" does not necessarily mean ending life!

In the past I have bought Wisconsin honey that was raw and "gently heated" to preserve the quality of the honey which was fine for my use.
    Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. Anyone practicing Bee Venom Therapy should proceed at their own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by LSPender View Post
    The correct definition, as quoted from " The Honey Revolution" By Ron Fessenden, MD

page 148.
    Curious. What, exactly makes that the "correct definition?" Is he citing a legal code? Or is it the author's opinion?

Wayne

The correct definition is The accepted industry standard, all industries have them.

Waynesgarden makes a very good point. I happen to think that his definition is, in fact, a good one but not sure that there is truly any industry standard and that it would be extremely difficult to enforce. I have always suspected that, because raw would be a type of honey that consumers would perceive as being more healthful that many in the industry play a little "fast and loose" with usage of this term.

Wikepidia:
    Raw honey is honey as it exists in the beehive or as obtained by extraction, settling or straining without adding heat (although some honey that has been "minimally processed" is often labeled as raw honey).[38] Raw honey contains some pollen and may contain small particles of wax. Local raw honey is sought after by allergy sufferers as the pollen impurities are thought to lessen the sensitivity to hay fever (see Medical Applications below

yes its the industry standard, when you do a search on raw honey and find the same definition in 5 or more places, its standard.

I suggest everyone take a look at wikepidea on different subject, if the info on their is incorrect post a response to have correct info in the market place.

The web site wilepidia is used by our custmers as info source for many things.

But, apparently there is a difference or there are variations of what the industry standard is, because wiki says "w/out adding heat" and you say "max 140 degrees" and "90 to 120". So, which is it? "w/out adding heat" or "90 to 120" but less than a "max 140 degrees"?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Here is but one definition from Australia:

Nothing artificial is added. The use of pesticides and antibiotics is illegal in Western Australian bee keeping. We then keep all the good things the bees have collected by gently taking the honey from the combs; we do not heat our honey, we filter by gravity and we don’t strain the good bits out. We tap into glass jars. So you get honey as nature intended. Sometimes thick and sometimes runny. Always with all the goodness of live enzymes, trace minerals and low GI. And all the taste.

While there is overwhelming agreement in the industry that raw honey should be unheated and unfiltered there is no actual definitive code that defines and mandates the handling requirements for honey to be labeled raw. Our own national honey board site concedes there is "no official definition of raw honey" I think it may be an oversite that a uniform code has never been established. Unfortunately as things stand right now there is nothing preventing a large packer from labeling millions of pounds of commercially processed honey as raw if it meets their own definition. The onus is really on the small packer to define what they are selling clearly on their label or, in the best case, to have a more personal relationship with their customers as Larry describes.