Default Freeman Beetle Trap

Just bought some hive on Oct. 2nd here in Mississippi and they were treated by the apiary that morning using the following for SHB :
    Coral... mixed in a 10:1 ratio with SoySurf (Natural Soy Oil) as a carrier agent... We use heavy duty paper towels torn into 6"x6" squares and thoroughly soaked in this solution... place one square on the bottom board, at the rear.
    Yesterday Oct.16th at around noon I placed the Freeman Beetle Traps...and 24hrs. later I took the picture below.
    Chemicals do not work like this does. We all need to reconsider our methods.
    http://flic.kr/p/8HSZRn

Default Re: Freeman Beetle Trap

I have made some oil traps that I move to a hive that has a problem. They do work very well. I have been able to keep hives in just about full shade with them and not have problems with SHB. The chemicals are not an option as I do not put anything in my hives. I feed sugar syrup for winter and to stimulate brood rearing in the spring. As far as mites go the bees will take care of them are they will die.

You give me hope. Those filthy beetles have pretty much put me out of biz since 2008.
    Thanks a lot...

Ive never heard of that particular "treatment" for SHB, but I know if I saw that many beetles in a colony I would be worried I would soon find that box empty...looks like your gettin a good foothold on them..keep it up
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Not wanting to sound stupid but what exactly is "Coral", where can you buy it and how does your treatment work?

you can buy it at a farm or livestock supply store. It used on livestock for fly and lice repellent. Co-Ral is usually sold in a dust form in a shaker can. I only know this because I have cattle.

Sounds like an alternative to CheckMite; looks like they both contain the organophosphate Coumaphos.
    "Experience is that which enables us to recognize our mistakes - the next time we make them."