Re: Claims made concerning acid-inverted syrup
Since AstroBee contributed to the thread, I wanted to see if I understand this. I really don't mean to beat the dead horse...
So, if I'm reading this correctly, Baily is saying that "acid-hydrolyzed syrups" (inverted syrup) is toxic, like "8-year old honey".
Originally Posted by AstroBee
Now, this is where I wish a chemist would help out...
"Sugar syrup should be acidified with organic acids
(citric, oxalic, acetic, lactic). The best wintering results were obtained when 0.3 g acetic acid was added per kilogram of sugar to the sugar syrup, prepeared (sic) for feeding of wintering bees. The fecula (sic) mass in spring bees was lower when they were fed on sugar syrup, acidified with acetic acid, compared to those, fed on non acidified sugar syrup
To me adding an acid to syrup is not the same as inverting it. A number of members add vinegar to adjust pH, often after the syrup has cooled. It's my impression that that syrup will be more acid, but not inverted.
Adding ascorbic acid to the hot water that one makes syrup with, in my opinion, would result in minimal inversion of sucrose, without adding heat beyond the point of clarifying the syrup. If my water, or syrup boils, it's entirely by mistake.
There's a difference, I believe, between "acidifying" a syrup and the acid-inversion of a syrup.
Most of Taranov's study involved invertase-inverted syrup.
I'd like to know what happens to the pH of inverted syrup. For example, if I make a batch of syrup with 25# of sugar I would add approximately 3.5 grams of ascorbic acid to the water before adding the sugar. Now, normally, I don't boil the syrup. But if I did boil it for 20 minutes would the pH change through the conversion of the sucrose to fructose and glucose, to a less acid level? Since inverted syrup tastes sweet I would think that the that the pH would rise... but this is completely a guess on my part.
Last edited by BeeCurious; 10-11-2010 at 04:57 PM.
BeeCurious............... Trying to think inside the box...