Default Hello from Pueblo Colorado USA

Hi all. I am interested in starting a couple of bee hives. I live in the city. I have already checked with my zoning requirements and I am allowed two hives/two queens. No other requirements. I have nothing as far as equipment. I know of my local group (they have a meeting in two weeks, so I will go and join). I have made contact with a local beekeeper who will sell me a nuc in the spring. I have no experience in beekeeping. My wife wants a garden, we like honey, and I want a hobby. What a winning combo!! Glad to be on the forum. Questions? Suggestions? Anyone close?

Wade

Default Re: Hello from Pueblo Colorado USA

Welcome Wade!

Where is Pueblo?

I kind of remember receiving a few free government publications from Pueblo...

Cheers,
    TP

Welcome Wade, shop for and get the woodenware for your hive this Winter. Finish putting it together and painting the outside (only) and spend the Winter dreaming and wishing for the day your bees are home.

hello pueblo,,i am starting this spring also,,but have hive parts now,but no bees,,,,i am feeding the wild ones around here(i have a hive set up in the back yard with feremone in it ) but they(maybe 500) come and visit and go home every night,,it is kinda fun,and i am getting a little practice out of it,,hahaha. i bought hive parts from mann lake,and they shipped free,i think that is a good deal,,,i cant wait till spring,,goodluck stay on this site,,you will find ALL the info you will need !!

Quote Originally Posted by toekneepea View Post

Where is Pueblo?
    Pueblo CO is about 2.5 hours south of Denver. I can see Pikes Peak out my window.
    Last edited by Barry; 10-09-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: read the rules on quoting!

I am from Pueblo also and am going to start a hive in the spring. Unfortunately I can't find any information on local (Pueblo based) bee clubs or locally sold nucs. I also don't know which bees would be best suited for this climate, I was thinking buckfast or carniolans.

Welcome to the site!

Thanks, I've read the forums for a while and finally decided it was time to register

pikes peak beekeepers association in colorado springs,,they just their last meeting of the year,and next one is in january. they have a website you can find out all the info.

You can see Pikes Peak! So can I but we are about 4 hours apart! Gotta LOVE Colorado!

Any beeks around this area (Pueblo/Denver) that already have successful hives: what breed bees are you raising? Thanks