Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed

Default Disappointed

Just found the owner of more than 80 acres of wild maximillian sunflowers and I asked him if I could put my hives on his wild sunflowers till the first frost. He shut me down completely. Said he didn't allow anyone....anyone to come and go on his land.

I did my best to visit with him and talk to him. He even asked "what's in it for me"? I replied "what do you want". I didn't know if he wanted some honey or cash money. He then restated his previous comment, I don't allow anyone to come and go.

I'm very disappointed. My girls could have really used all that nectar.

Default Re: Disappointed

Does he have a neighbor? Bees don't mind crossing a fence to get to a nectar source.

Its way, way out in rural West Texas, and there's not a soul for miles. The only house for miles around is his.

He told me he was the original owner of the Tripp Harley Davidson place in Amarillo, TX.

The guy shut me down and then invited me to come and buy a Harley from him.

Big Grin Re: Disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy View Post
    Does he have a neighbor? .
    lol
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

At least you asked. Sorry it didn't turn out better for you.

The guy asked me if I could keep my bee hives in the bar ditch next to the highway. I was stunned and said "no, I wouldn't want anyone to have access to my hives", trying to take some lines from him.

Anyone actually put their hives in bar ditches next to major highways?

Just drop him a jar of honey, with a note saying you can't afford a Harley and to call you if he changes his mind. A little sweetness goes a long way.

I can see both sides, I live in a rural area that is fairly close to town and often get people who jump the fence to "see the horses" or "take pictures"... and one of the best is when I found a bunch of road workers who were having a picnic IN my pasture with my horses. Gates are a huge problem, and allowing access to one person makes 10 more think that the pretty feild is suddenly public property. I regularly run people off with some very well trained dogs.

I second the idea to give him a bit of honey, and try talking to him when ever you get the chance. If you have insurance that helps alleviate concerns also. Be friendly and don't expect overnight success, he may turn out to be a great resource... or not. You just never know.

Maybe he's got another type of crop around there somewhere that he doesn't want anyone to stumble onto...

Next time you have a situation like this, Give the jar of honey first, let them taste, while making pitch. We have one yard that is across the ditch from the road, but the neighbor has already checked us out , and been paid a jar to
    guard.

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Quiney WI View Post
    Just drop him a jar of honey, with a note saying you can't afford a Harley and to call you if he changes his mind. A little sweetness goes a long way.
    Excellent!
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    Maybe he's got another type of crop around there somewhere that he doesn't want anyone to stumble onto...

That's what I thought of too.

Not everyone is thrilled at the thought of stinging bees on their property.

Maybe the guy has worked his butt off to get what he has, and he wants to enjoy it in peace. There is absolutely no reason he should allow anyone on his property if he wants his privacy. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting privacy. It doesn't mean he is doing anything wrong, and it strikes me as rather offensive that people would suspect him of growing something that he doesn't want found just because he doesn't want to share the hard earned fruits of his labor with people who are only interested in using him for their benefit. Ever consider the possibility of liability issues? What landowner wants the headaches of someone coming on their property and breaking a leg?

Do you want people nosing around your beeyards, or do you prefer people stay out of your beeyards? If you don't want them around, should we be asking if you are using your hives to guard a crop that you don't want found or messed with?

It also rubs me the wrong way that people would want to use the guy (put bees on his place) without even having thought of what they are going to offer the guy to compensate him.

If folks like the idea of putting bees on 80 acres of these sunflowers, why don't they buy 80 acres, plant it in sunflowers, and put their bees on it?

Drop back by with some honey as a goodwill gesture and to let him know you're serious if you really want the location. However, understand this may be a very difficult person to deal with. He's shown his personality. Any disagreements or difficulties he experiences with "bees" (any stinging insect) could create challenges that aren't worth the headache of putting, or having to retrieve those bees on/off that property.

I've been in sales long enough to understand that this type of person can be so hard to deal with at times that I'll walk away from the sale if I my "spider senses" start tingling. I'll let my competition have the headache. It'll drain more from them in time, headaches, and resourses than the profit added.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

So are you saying he also owns all the vacant land for miles around??

There's a bee farm in Wisconsin that keeps their hives in school buses to keep them safe from the bears. Makes you think a little outside of the box!

Do the jar of honey deal 1st!!!
    I have lost count as to the number of people over the past 30 years that always remember you from that 3 pound jar of "good will " you have given them from how many years back.
    And if he tells you he does not like honey, your response needs to be that this is real honey not the " stuff " you buy in the store!!!
    Good Luck!!!

"It doesn't mean he is doing anything wrong, and it strikes me as rather offensive that people would suspect him of growing something that he doesn't want found just because he doesn't want"

Relax - no reasonable person "suspects" anyone of being a pot farmer just because of this. The possibility just came to mind.

Anyway, the smart pot farmer would allow enough access to his land that they could show a reasonable doubt that it was theirs. "Anybody could have planted that" - I actually served on that jury about 20 years ago, and the accused was acquitted because indeed anyone could have planted it.

Countryboy has it right. Leave the guy alone. Respect his privacy, and his property. Everyone including myself wants or envys someone else and their property. But it is not yours and he has a right to say no. I've had to run people off of my property before because they didn't even ask. I don't like having to do that or even say no. You give some people an inch and they take a mile.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Generally speaking, I think the landowner/beekeeper interaction is a positive thing, that encourages a dialogue, and the establishment of an interaction that goes beyond "this is mine/that is yours", and does something to promote community and exchange.

However, if someone is really closed to the idea and "shoots down" an approach from a beekeeper - for whatever reason - it's probably wisest to just move on to find someone who's open to the whole thing.

Once you've asked and approached as positively as you could - that's really it. If I were you, I might question how you might do anything differently. Were you prepared to describe benefits for him? Where you warm enough yourself? I don't know. I just think once you ask a person, better to just move on with no hard feelings, and focus on things that you CAN control, like how you react and approach the next conversation.

I think it's imperative to keep any of these conversations positive - no matter what the answer is.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Countryboy View Post
    Does he have a neighbor? Bees don't mind crossing a fence to get to a nectar source.

Forget the jar of honey... and the suggestions that the guy is growing pot!

The guy is like you and me, only different...

Be patient, and if not this year, by next year you could have your bees on a neighboring property.

Countryboy's suggestion, IMO, was the best.

The inconvenience of finding another location will pay-off... giving honey to jerks probably doesn't have much of an upside. We know, as beekeepers, who is open to persuasion. The guy who said no is already defensive; I'd rather offer a bottle of honey to a complete stranger, than to try to persuade someone who already has said no.

I found a great host for hives via Craigslist.

Good luck!
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...