Thread: Deformed wings

Hybrid View

Default Deformed wings

Went to check on two of my top bar hives today. Added a quart of sugar syrup to one yesterday and left a partial quart in the hive for them to clean out. Planned on just pulling this jar out today.

Took a look at hive 2 and noticed a large amount of dead yellow jackets on the ground and lots of drones that had been kicked out. This hive is packed full, no more room to expand. Activity seemed normal. I looked down at my shoe and saw a bee crawling on it. Took a close look and found her to have deformed wings. I found a total of 3 like this.

Bee in the following photo has sugar stuck to her. I took 2 bees home in the empty sugar syrup jar. Seems they got a bit sticky in the jar.

I obviously overlooked early signs of a problem. Hive is packed full of bees and they seem to be going strong. Last check of brood pattern indicated a solid pattern is a smaller brood area as the bees started to fill things up with honey. Time to dig back in and check things out.

Default Re: Deformed wings

You have a mite problem, and deformed wing virus. Treat for mites.

That is one sick little bee. If you want to know how bad the brood is, uncap a few on some frames. pick out the bee and check her out. Look for signs of a bee unable to get out. Her head will be out and the tongue stuck out and dead.

DWV= mites, you have a problem and its been a problem for a while, DWV does not just happen overnight.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Treat for mites immediately, the hive MIGHT survive the winter.

Every day goes by without treating will increase the odds of losing the hive through the winter. A hive can get past the point of no return before it's that obvious to a newish beekeeper.

BTW, as a TBH keeper, you might have been told in the past that your hive will not get mites because TBH's are protected by natural sized cells. This is a bit of a myth, you do need to treat the hive.

Treat for mites immediately, the hive MIGHT survive the winter.
    Or don't treat and they might survive the winter. It really depends on the colony as some colonies can and do handle mite loads that show DWV. I've seen it enough. If you don't treat and they do happen to make it through the winter and into drone production time you will see many under developed and wingless drones outside the entrance and very few deformed workers. The key in my view is to split this colony up if and when they build to swarm mode using their own queen cells. Then you have a chance of these new colonies getting through the next wintering without treatments. That's if you want to stay away from treatments. But if you don't mind treating you may want to do that. Still no guarantee they will make it.