Default bees eating and not storing

So I am at 5 hives. 4 italians 1 mh. Some of the hives have hive top feeders and some have frame feeders. The ones that have hive the hive top feeders have been fed much heavier becuase they where fed more often due to weather and it more syrup each go. Despite the fact they are slighly heviar in one case and a bit more heavier in another case, they still arn't heavy enough. And I have fed A LOT of sugar. Which is getting pricey. The mh hygenics are the worst offednders.

Is there away to encourage them to store syrup? make it thicker?

If I cant get them heavy enough for winter what preperations should I make for feb feeding, fondant etc?

Any other tips would be apriciated. Anyone know of any sources of bulk copys of "beeking for dummies", one for each hive.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

Default Re: bees eating and not storing

Hi "Peep",

Do you have your entrances reduced down?

Or do you have robbing screens in place?

You may be operating an all you can eat buffet for neighboring bees. I did that last year. I fed and fed.... and discovered that it wasn't being packed in.

I have a 20 quart pot and I use a 25# bag of sugar for a batch... Your right sugar goes fast.

Don't go beyond 2:1 syrup. It will crystallize in your feeders.

I'm actually planning to use fondant (purchased). I'm going to feed a little less syrup this year, and put fondant on in January if the hives seem too light. Placing the fondant over the inner cover.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

add some citric acid to your mix to help invert it. They will store more of it. By just feeding sucrose you are just stimulating them. do a search on beesource there was a thread on how to invert sucrose.

Quote Originally Posted by rainesridgefarm View Post
    add some citric acid to your mix to help invert it. They will store more of it. By just feeding sucrose you are just stimulating them. do a search on beesource there was a thread on how to invert sucrose.
    That is the key to proper feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreiRN View Post
    Hmmm...if I was to add citrus, would it be just plain lemon juice added to the top feeder jar along with the 2:1 sugar syrup? How much lemon juice per jar?

bee cuz

Quote Originally Posted by AndreiRN View Post
    Can you reference any studies that suggest that most people are not feeding properly?

I used invertase a couple of years ago but since there was no data on its use I stopped.

I have started to adjust the pH of my syrup this year but since I don't heat the syrup for an extended time (I don't boil it for 20 minutes) I'm not certain that it ends up being inverted.

I'm adding ascorbic acid now and I'm still tweaking the dosage. With my water hardness, 4 to 4.5 grams of ascorbic acid crystal to 25 lbs of sugar in a 2:1 may be satisfactory. I need to check future batches...

I'm adding the crystal to the hot water before adding the sugar. I heat it moderately for the syrup to become clear.

The pH is corrected, but I suspect that the inversion is limited. IMO
    BeeCurious

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    Can you reference any studies that suggest that most people are not feeding properly?

I used invertase a couple of years ago but since there was no data on its use I stopped.

I have started to adjust the pH of my syrup this year but since I don't heat the syrup for an extended time (I don't boil it for 20 minutes) I'm not certain that it ends up being inverted.

I'm adding ascorbic acid now and I'm still tweaking the dosage. With my water hardness, 4 to 4.5 grams of ascorbic acid crystal to 25 lbs of sugar in a 2:1 may be satisfactory. I need to check future batches...

I'm adding the crystal to the hot water before adding the sugar. I heat it moderately for the syrup to become clear.

The pH is corrected, but I suspect that the inversion is limited. IMO
    AndreiRN,

BeeCurious

Anyone searching for a study supporting their belief that acid-inverted syrup is better for honey bees than non-inverted syrup, might search here:

http://www.apidologie.org/index.php?...id=271&lang=en

or here:

http://community.lsoft.com/scripts/w...=BEE-L&L=BEE-L

A study conducted in 1925 by L.E. Dills compared uninverted, acid-inverted, and invertase-inverted syrups.

Dills' study concluded that colonies fed uninverted syrup lost the fewest bees during the winter.

Colonies fed acid-inverted syrup lost the most bees.

Colonies fed invertase-inverted syrup lost more bees than those fed uninverted syrup or honey.

It was concluded that inverted feed is unsatisfactory for wintering.

If someone knows of a more recent study I'd like to read it...
    Last edited by BeeCurious; 10-09-2010 at 07:54 AM. Reason: typo
    BeeCurious