Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Open Feeding Barrel - Tip

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  ronnyclif 
#1 ·
I have been open feeding out of the barrel and found that using about a half bag of pine bark nuggets in each barrel keeps drowning down to a minumn. I have seen straw, pine needles, grass, etc., but I loose very few bees this way. You might give it a try!

#2 ·
Good tip! I use styrofoam packing peanuts. You need to make sure that you're not using the ones made from corn starch, for obvious reasons, but they work well and are usually free.

My only complaint is that the bees, once they're done with the syrup, will tear up the styrofoam into a dust. Not really a big deal, but bees DO create static electricity when they fly. Styrofoam dust and static electricity? You do the math... :)

DS

#3 ·
I took a 1x10 and cut a circle out of it just a little smaller in diameter than the interior of the bottom of a 5-gallon bucket and drilled a bunch of holes in it. Then I cut an old t-shirt a little larger than that and stretched it over the wood and stapled it on the back side.

Just let it float in the feeder. The syrup soaks up in the t-shirt and the ladies land on it and have plenty. Just check it every four days or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.