Default How to clean out extracted frames?

This is my second year beekeeping and I had this same problem last year. After extracting the honey I put the frames on the hive as suggested to let the bees clean them out. The problem is that they keep filling them with nectar! I even put them on top of the inner cover and they are still filling them. So now I have a bunch of frames that I don't want to leave on so that they work in their brood boxes, but also they will mold if I take them off. My bees are on my roof in the city so I cannot place them 100 feet away to let them rob them (it would be in the street or someone else's yard.) I also tried spraying them out in the shower and that didn't work either. Any suggestions?

Default Re: How to clean out extracted frames?

I would guess that you don't have too many hives in the surrounding area, so do you think you could simply set them as far from the hives as possible?

Perhaps a few at a time to avoid too strong a honey odor?

How do you store your comb for the winter?
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Last year I had only one honey super (my first year) and I let them rob it right next to the hive. I didn't know any better at the time. Then I just stored the super inside the house. I only have one hive but this year I have three supers. I plan on freezing the frames and then storing them in plastic because I did have some wax moths lurking around...

Hi Carly,

If it's your bees doing the "robbing" or cleaning it's OK.

Was there any indication of robbing of your hive last year? Any fighting on the landing board?

Try this:

Reduce your hive entrance down real small small so it is easily defended. It will also be easy to see fighting. Then place some frames as far from the hive as you can.

What else can you do? Take them with you for a picnic in the park?

This reminds me, I have some cappings to set outside... I live in a condo!
    BeeCurious
    5 hives and 8 nucs................... Trying to think inside the box...

Carly, after you extract for the last time, hold the cleaning of the combs untill the end of the nectar flow. Then place over inter cover with hole open for several days above lower box.
    Walt

after I extract honey i place the supers right back on the hives for two days and then place my bee escape back on 48 hours later I remove them prep for winter. always let the bees clean their own stuff up.
    99.99% of questions can be answered by Just reading books.