Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Why do people start/ leave beekeeping...

I started for three reasons.

One, I've always been interested in food synergies between man and other organisims, such as beer, sourdough and kefir.

Two, my grandfather used to keep bees, so I thought he might approve from up above ^_^

Three, I'm a Rover Scout, and needed a project for my Baden Powell award. I thought about building a hive, starting it up and gaining a new hobby, and decided it was EXACTLY the sort of thing I needed to do.
    Check out my bee keeping blog at http://www.bnekeeper.com

What an "unexpectedly" interesting post. Thank you all for sharing.

The reason most beekeepers leave is they got started for the wrong reasons and refused to listen to mentors or refused to get educated the right way.
    There are thousands of "teachers" that have no idea of what they are doing. They get a hive of bees and after a couple of months they become an expert and start posting on the internet.
    Watch for the next ABJ where I address this problem in the Letters to the Editor section.
    Beware the Bee Killers.
    Have a great day,
    Chappie
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 10-11-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: UNQ

I do not get ABJ. Maybe you could email me your editorial, or posti it here. Would be curious to know what you think.

Beekeeping is a "chick magnet"...

and it gets old...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Want to rezone my 5 acres into farm land and use it to graze the bee's.

Love wood working and building things. This hobby has unique challenges and problems to solve things to tweak and invent.

The signs "trespassers will be stung" keep the neighbors off my land.

Makes good Christmas presents.

My day job clients love to talk about my hobby.

Gives me something else to use my tractor for.

I got into it partly because it just naturally seems to fill the void between maple syrup season and winter (April through November). I already make one sweet product why not another. Once I got my hive and did a split, bees just absolutely amaze me.

I started simply beekeeping because I have a mild case of OCD when it comes to hobbies (I have a lot of hobbies). My wife told me that about a guy that she knew at work who was starting up. I thought, "Wow, I never thought of beekeeping". The next thing I know is that I was scouring the internet for sites like this one and Craigslist for nucs. I have kept with it because once I get something in my head, it stays there for a long, long time.
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by AramF View Post
    How interesting... I read that harvesting honey is what turns a lot of people away too. Does that resonate with people?
    It might be for some folks. But honey = payday in my book. I already have people clamoring for probably more than I can produce. Of course, that is subject to change, knowing my luck!

I was out in the yard last year looking out across a field and saw wildflowers as far as I could see. It hit me from out of nowhere: I need bees! I guess the good Lord sent me a billboard-sized message that day!

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/s...6098743829.jpg

I joined the local beekeeper's association and have met a lot of great folks in the area that I know will help if I need it. That is a big assurance to a new beekeeper, too. Plus I don't think I'll ever run out of stuff to read. And the forums are full of great information and opinions.

I guess I've had moderate success with one hive and a split this spring. I expect to extract 3 10-frame mediums this coming weekend, and there will probably be more later on (if it keeps raining occasionally).

So, hopefully I'll be doing bees and honey for many years to come!
    Last edited by Slow Modem; 05-29-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Right now, beekeeping is "cool". Beekeepers are seen as heros "saving the environment". There's a lot of press "us against big ag" e.g. Monsanto.

I think in hard times like these people look back with nostalgia to the supposed "good 'ol days" of the past and take up the mantle.

People get out when they find out just how difficult and expensive it is. Spend some time getting strung when keeping bees in full sun and that'll put you off of your idyllic vision. A few years without a harvest will kill whatever idealistic spark you had, then go back to growing patio tomatoes or shopping at the coop.

i got started when my friend had 7 hives just fall into her lap. Since i had nothing better to do at the time, i started helping her out. They are very fascinating little ladies and harvesting a bit of honey provides for a delicious and tasty reward for all the effort....

why would i leave beekeeping? if the hives all got hot enough to the point of the backyard being unenjoyably.... bee stings for no reason are not fun.... or if all the hives were overun by pests/disease, i'd be devastated....
    Last edited by gonzo; 05-29-2012 at 01:15 PM.

Ive been considering retiring and needed a hobby. That said, I've been interested in honeybees for years, did some research a couple of years ago, and decided it was too much trouble/work with all the viruses, mites, treatments, etc. Found out about two local Beekeeping Guilds at our County Fair about 1.5 years ago and joined both Guilds. (Santa Clara and San Mateo County Guilds) After going to 4 or 5 meetings I took the plunge and got my hive set up, and got a swarm last June. It's been great fun, and I've meet some wonderful people. I recommend joining your local guild. The two I belong to have monthly meeting that are great for netorking and basic education. They also offer beginning and intermediate classes.

Last year I stumbled upon a post about somebody who was a beekeeper. I read through it and was interested, so I searched for more resources. The more I learned about bees, the more I was fascinated. I just got my first 2 nucs 2 weeks ago.

I'm very excited, and hope I never hit a point where I want to quit. Right now I just want more and more bees. I have 2 more nucs coming and multiple swarm traps set.

This is my second time around, started years ago when I lived in a big house with a small yard. When the AHB scare started I folded my tent. Did not want to hurt a neighbor or kid, I had three hives and one was big and "hot". Now I have the space and have read about beekeeping for years, Started with Taber, am still a fan even though he is gone. Have two Russian queens now from his old Apiary in CA, Taber Apiary or Honey Bee Genetics, same place, they are chemical free. Have one Buckfast queen from the BWeaver farm in Navasota TX they have been chemical free for ten years. Have two Langs and one TBH.
    Doing it for fun. Beekeeping has unlimited ways to work the bees, always new things to try, new bees, new hives, new ways to avoid pests etc. For instance I think the TBH is not my cup of tea and when I can figure out how, suggestions welcome, to move it to a Lang I will.

The reason I started bees....
    1. To become wealthy and travel Europe like the commercial guys.
    ( I also spent my life as a Chef and am a Hunter/Gather type.)
    2. When I'll get out.....When I have enough profit from beekeeping to put in CD's and live comfortably off the earnings. I think this will take a couple years,beekeeping isn't a get rich quick business.

I told my longtime family friend I got into beekeeping....his response "Do you have these bouts of stupidity often"... I said "Pretty much, yes"...... I wanted them for pollination mainly but then I just fell in love with my girls... I could just sit and watch them going in and out of the hive all day.

I got in because we had no ferals after the west nile run here due to aireal spraying. My garden wasnt doing well so I got them to pollinate. Then I got to liking working them and learning more than I already knew. I went from one hive to fifteen the first year. I probably wont ever get out.

psisk

I was in the military a long time and sold off hives three different times going from one assignment to the next. The oddest suspension of beekeeping was when I had three hives located in the yard of an elderly acquaintance in San Antonio, TX.

As the widow's story went, he died suddenly and she didn't know what do do with his bees or mine. She sold all the hives....I was shocked but didn't want to make it an issue, so I just let them go without a fight. I think she never wanted the bees around and just days after his death, they were gone. Se la Vi

That was 1990 or so...I've had a long hiatus from beekeeping, but I'm back because I like bees. Don't care much about honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    When I'll get out.....When I have enough profit from beekeeping to put in CD's.
    I put a lot of $ into CDs, but now with MP3s, the CDs are just about obsolete.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

I got into it 6 yrs ago to make mead. A friend of mine had 40acres and alot of blackberries. Well, I dove in and he got a new job and , moved out of state to the burbs and I was stuck holding the deep hive body. I About quit 3 yrs ago, sold 75% of my equipment. Got tired of fighting winter losses and the weather. I jumped back in and had a better 2011 ( I am figuring this out) I like the look of the hives around the garden and might just take me some Black locust honey off the hives this week. Pretty challenging hobby and expensive. If , I knew then what I know now.. I wouldnt of started , espically since I found out I am not that fond of mead anyway . I have good perspective now of just keeping around 5 hives and maybe selling a few nucs and grafting a few queens now and then

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast