Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

not sure

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  afss 
#1 ·
not sure what might be causing this but i figured it could be a disease/pest so i posted here.

images can be found here http://s37.photobucket.com/albums/e89/afss/gb/ sorry they aren't the best quality, phone camera.

any ideas/explanations

thanks

#3 ·
It is too late for a Thymol or formic treatment; the temperatures are not high enough for a successful treatment.
I would treat with a vaporizer and OA at least 4 times a week apart. Remember your bees producing winter bees and there is no guarantee for the hive to survive.
Next year start treating in August when the mites are on the last summer bees.

#5 ·
Since virtually all hives anywhere have some varroa, I wouldn’t throw in the towel just yet. What you might be actually observing is hygienic behavior. Which is what we are trying to cultivate in our bee stock. Read the article ( Getting Bee Back on Their Own Six Feet) in October American Bee Journal, written by Dr. Marla Spivak University of Minnesota. I attended her queen rearing class in July, hygienic behavior is a top priority in stock selection. If indeed your bees are exhibiting hygienic behavior your hive will not only survive but will flourish.

#8 ·
Alcohol wash is most accurate……. Well you have to kill approx 300 bees you need in a hive this time of the year.

With alcohol wash you will know how many mites are on 300 bees. With one OA evaporation, it takes 2 minutes without harm the bees; you will know 24-48 hours later how many mites your hive has. You kill all mites outside closed cells and not only a few on 300 bees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.