Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Does Goldenrod nectar smell like dirty, sour, wet socks?

10K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Skinner Apiaries 
#1 ·
I have been smelling sour smell for 4 weeks now and as a 2nd year BK am worried it is AFB. I'm in a close, residential spot, so I smell the hive daily. Goldenrod has been in bloom for 4-6 weeks (IL), so maybe the hive is o.k. and this smell is "normal". (the attached comments were from another thread, but it makes me hopeful.)

If you have AFB you should smell something on the order of dirty, sour, wet, socks along with your visual inspection.

No, if you smell that you are just smelling the bees ripening goldenrod nectar. AFB smells like rotting meat.

#4 ·
I'll vote for goldenrod, but I have to ask, if you have been worried that you may have foulbrood for the last 4 weeks, why haven't you opened your hive to check? If there ever is a time a hive needs immediate, drop everything and stop wondering and do it now attention, it is when there is even a hint of foulbrood.

Wayne

#7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Waynesgarden, I did inspect bees and they all seem to be thriving and busy, but I just didn't know if I was missing something. They are new Italian package installed in May. Two deeps and they never did draw the super, so I thought something was amiss. Then I got SHB and am looking into how that might affect hive. Books just don't give me enough info.

#8 ·
People give this smell a bad rap. I love the smell and look forward to it every year. It's one of those unique smells that's associated with beekeeping that brings back good memories for me. My wife and I went out last night and when we came home and got out of the car that was the first smell to hit my nose and I took a deep breath. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.