Default Should I fill gaps with styroform?

This year I started with 10-Frame and 8-Frame. The 10 Frame colony never drew all 10 frames even with heavy feeding but 8-Frame colony drew all 8 frames. After this experiment, I am leaning heavily in favor of 8-Frame. Now I have a problem. I need to fill the gap that exists in the 10 Frame. Will it be ok fill the space with styroform so it will be easier on the bees to keep the hive warm, rather than having to heat too much space?

Default Re: Should I fill gaps with styroform?

I am running into this too. What I did was to reduce the space I placed insulated frames in. I took empty frames and stuffed news paper in and wraped it with fiberglass window screening. Simple to do and left the screening on the long side to block access from the bottom, sides, and top.

I think Michae B's idea is better. The bees sometimes chew up the styrofoam and make a mess.

http://bushfarms.com/images/SugarFeedingSide.jpg

Just put sugar on the side, they can and will eat it if they need it but meanwhile it will take up space and soak up moisture. If you have a SBB then put a sheet of newspaper in the gap first so the sugar doesn't fall through.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

They don't heat the space, they heat the cluster. Leave the empty frames in there. Trying to replace them with styrofoam will end up with a chewed up mess either berfore winter while they haven't clustered or in spring when they break cluster.
    Last edited by Peter; 09-24-2010 at 07:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Is it OK to put the sugar into an internal frame feeder?

I think filling with sugar is a great idea. That can also help with emergency feeding. Keeping sugar from spilling may be difficult even with newspaper. Will this attract ants? What if sugar is moistened before putting it in to make clumps?

The sugar will pick up moisture on its own, which is one of it's advantages. I wouldn't worry about wetting it before hand.
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

I had 2 x 2, 10 frame deeps that I converted to 8 frames this summer and this is how I did it. I had one extra box so I converted it and then traded boxes one at a time until they were all converted. I nailed 2 strips of wood on each side, of the inside, of the sides of the box that were 5/8 inch thick. One flush at the bottom and the other just under the frame rail. Then I nailed a board that was the dimensions of the inside of the sides less the rail height, roughly 9 inches tall. So you add 5/8 inch for the wood strip and 3/4 inch for the board and you have shortened each side by one frame. Then you can add a 5/8 inch peice by 1 3/8 to go on top and rest on the rails. There will be an air gap created by this but will just add a little insulation to the sides of the box. The bees will popalis anything that has a little gap if you are not exact. Worked great for me.

> Is it OK to put the sugar into an internal frame feeder?

http://bushfarms.com/images/SugarFeedingFrame.jpg

Dry Sugar. This can be fed a number of ways. Some people just dump it down the back of the hive (definitely not recommended with Screened Bottom Boards as it will fall through to the ground). Some put it on top of the inner cover. Some put a sheet of newspaper on top of the top bars, add a box on top and put the sugar on the newspaper (as in the photos above). Others put it in a frame feeder (the black plastic trough kind). I've even pulled two frames out of an eight frame box that were empty and dumped the sugar in the gap (with a solid bottom board of course). With screened bottom boards or with a small hive that just needs a little help, I'll pull some empty frames out, put some newspaper in the gap and put a little suger, spray a little water to clump it so it doesn't run out, a little more sugar until I get it full. Sometimes the house bees carry it out for trash if you don't clump it. If you drizzle some water on it you can get the bees interested in it. The finer the sugar the better they take it. If you can get "bakers" sugar or "drivert" sugar it will be better accepted that standard sugar but harder to find and more expensive.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-25-2010 at 08:39 PM.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF