Default Would you apply Apiguard to hives that look like this?

I'm supposed to apply the second tray of Apiguard (thymol) today, but some of the hives I treated two weeks ago look like this - bees hanging out all over the front, and down to the ground! Since the temps here are going to be in the 80s the next couple days, I'm afraid of driving them right out of the hives. Temps will be in the 60s next week - should I wait until then? Also, the 1.5" spacers I used doesn't seem to be enough - I will put an empty super on top.

I suspect the hives are so congested because I had to remove the honey supers before applying Apiguard, and it's a tough fit to go from 3-5 extra supers on top back down to two brood boxes. Any thoughts?

(tried to post a photo of the overflowing hives, but can't seem to attach it)

Default Re: Would you apply Apiguard to hives that look like this?

the second dose never seems to bother them as much as the first. I would put in on as scheduled for the highest mite kill you can get. What do the hives look like when its raining. I'll bet they find away to all fit inside then
    Last edited by danno; 09-23-2010 at 12:58 PM.

I only had one day of apiguard treatment that the bees said enough! I just put in the second treatment today.

The smell is very noticable. The treatment seems to be working. I have not seen to many on drone brood and I didn't see any more DWV bees.

The queen did take a break from laying but she started again. Three frames of capped brood and one frame of eggs and 3-5 day olds.

One thing I am concerned about is the lack of honey. I am still feeding to try to get a few frames in two lower deeps. Right now they dont have any. I left a few frames in the super because I did not want to take all of thier honey off and leave them with nothing. They are not all that interested in syrup at this point. They only use 25% of what the healthy hives use.

Did you apply the apiguard above the hive body or above the super?

I'll put the Apiguard above the hive bodies and set an empty (no frames) shallow around them. I'm doing it today, as the heat, then rain delayed me. Will be 60s and 70s the next few days.

Use half a dose

From the manufacturer's website:
    At temperatures above 25C (77F) it is possible to use a half-dose of Apiguard and get a very good mite kill. Use 2 doses of 25g Apiguard, one week apart instead of 2 x 50g at two weeks apart. A third 25g dose is sometimes used after the second week where mite infestations are high.
    When it is very hot, the thymol sublimes faster from the gel and the bees are more active moving the Apiguard around. Both these factors increase the effectiveness of the treatment and less product is needed. Make sure the hive entrance is not restricted, allowing thymol vapour to escape.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards