Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How is a Warre functionally any different than a foundationless Lang?

What about using a wire like the Japanese guy in that video?

If the boxes were put back together after in the same way I'm sure the bees will have everything fixed back up in a day or so.

Default Re: How is a Warre functionally any different than a foundationless Lang?

Oldtimer,

I believe Warre was a fan of wires, and many Warre beekeepers do use them to separate boxes. Personally I haven't tried it, though I plan to at some point. I've had little issue getting the boxes separated.

However, the issue is more philosophical than functional. Most Warre beekeepers follow Warre's idea that the hive should be let alone as much as possible, and that it is important to avoid separating the boxes or removing the roof except for those situations where it is absolutely necessary (honey harvest, emergency maintenance, etc.). With the process of nadiring (bottom supering) using a lift of minions, the roof is only removed at the end of the season to harvest honey. At this time a wire, hive tool or other creative methods can certainly be used to get the boxes separated!

Cheers,
    Matt

Ah! Well thanks for the great explanation!

Philosophy! Well it has it's pluses and minuses.

On the one hand, it's an accumulation of wisdom that might have been built over generations, and is wise to follow.

On the other hand, if followed too rigidly, it can stifle innovation.

However I can see what Warre was getting at, as per your explanation, and the idea has merits.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbearomaha View Post
    bee poo?

by and large bees don't "poo" inside the hive. and when and if there is , there is a major bee health problem causing it.
    Sorry BB - I should have been clearer.

What I was talking about was the residue left by pupae when they emerge from cells. They do make an effort to clean up behind them, but it is less than thorough.

Also, the propolis cell lining causes discolouration of the comb, and may taint the honey if left there for an extended period of time.
    The Barefoot Beekeeper http://www.biobees.com