Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Does anyone use this method of queen rearing?

Have not tried this method of queen rearing, but Don is truly adorable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64cKn4rLNM

Looks like another good thread, but don't have time to read it all right now. For my quick input, Here are some pics of my first year of queen rearing. Some makeshift mating nucs, lol. They all worked well though had had their own benifets. The styrofoam one was from the dollar store for 'in a pinch' use.

http://s425.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=d0e038a5.pbw

I did both grafting and grid systems. Both had their learning curve. Both have their applications and uses in different situations. I actually liked hand grafting in the grid type cell cups, because I could hold each one in my hand and under my light-graft into it and then place in the cell holder.Then -most importaintly, I could use the roller cages.

When I read about queen rearing it seemed people went to great lengths to avoid grafting..some methods that seemed like just learning to graft would be a LOT easier in the long run.
    But Oldtimes theory about the cells being cleaned out and grafted larva going with out royal jelly for a time in an interesting fact I had not read before.

When I have time I'll read the other posts and perhaps add to them.

Tara, I raised about 175 queens my first year with nothing other than Beesource for instruction. It was a big undertaking because I also had to build all my equipment. Trial and error was no big deal. But because I chose to keep half of them and let the last batch grow in the mating nucs to overwintering strength, I did spend a lot on sugar and feed this fall. .

One more note: I really like my breeder queens installed on mini deep frames. Made taking a frame out for grafting less cumbersome and intrusive to the hive. I bought packages and installed them on new half sized frames with black rite cell and fed well. The resulting comb was brand spankin' new-soft and clean. If you are planning to try grafting, don't allow your queens to reside on seasoned dark comb. You'll have a tough time getting to the larva.
    My Glenn inseminated carniolan breeder queen was overwintered in her original hive from 2011. When I tried to get a clean graft frame this spring I was bummed.
    Last edited by Lauri; 10-20-2012 at 05:38 PM.

If this method interest you, you might also be interested in Mel Disselkoen's OTS ( on the spot ) method. I'm trying it this spring to rear queens for my splits. You can read about his work on his site mdasplitter dot com. Yes, Don FBM is really a great guy & a real asset to beekeeping.

I have watched Mel's Youtube'd lecture and also plan to give his method a try next year. It looks like a wonderful tool for the smaller beekeeper in particular...much simpler and less dependent on good eyes!

I will post next year after I try the OTS method, hope you do too Beeman! I have twin goals next season of increasing stock and using brood interruption to fight the mites, so Mel's video was a real boost to those plans.