Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Tanging the Bees

So does anyone actually go on swarm calls with a pot and spoon if the swarm is in a tree? I've seen lots of pictures of ladders and cut branches, but if tanging works, why don't people use it?

Please post your stories, good experiences and bad, and especially any studies you might have seen on this subject! Why/how does it work?

I can't figure out ANY sort of reason bees in the wild would want to move toward the sound of clanging metal...

Default Re: Tanging the Bees

I had never heard of Big Bear's idea that tanging was done to let other people know that the swarm was claimed. It makes sense tho. I've just not heard it before.

where did you hear that BBO?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

well, let's see
    I know of a few stories in older books that describe it. there is a wiki page on it too.

mostly from a couple stories I have read in old books, the person chasing the swarm clanged to let everyone else know it was theirs. this was back in pilgrim times when bees first came over, I expect it's a tradition that started in europe.
    ownership thing.

the theory i have seen on how it works is that the bees are sensitive to the air vibrations the metal on metal clanging causes and disturbs them to the point thy must stop flying.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Hey BB. Wouldn't it be a hoot to see that on say,... UTube. Go for it BB.

tell you all what. next spring when i start swarm chasing, I'll try the tanging thing see where it gets me. get it on video.

big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Allright. Now that's what I'm talking about. Will this bee a dancing big bear with a spoon and pan?

well, ideally, I think you were supposed to use copper items. no dancing.

Big Bear

Supposedly there is a frequency that will stop bees from moving.. I've been reading a Russian book published in the 70's called "Bees and People" by Naum Ioyrish. In it he says, "The Roman poet Virgil, a beekeeper himself, wrote that a swarm of bees could be brought back to the hive by the sound of cymbals. And in fact, it has been noted in beekeeping literature in recent years that a frequency of 600 hertz from a vibrator or loudspeaker placed 60 to 120 centimetres from a hive causes bees to 'freeze' on the honeycomb; the beekeeper himself, however, finds this sound extremely hard to bear." He doesn't make any citations on this info, though he does in other areas of the book.
    A backyard hobbyist, keeping hives since '09. ~ http://www.sweetthangchocolates.com
    Zone 8a/8b

Hello All-
    I'm writing a paper on tanging, and wondered if anyone had published accounts of tanging working (or not)? Anything in an encyclopedia, bee journal, historical, academic, anything, I'd be interested.

Cheers,
    Michael

Here is a video of Schawee tanging a swarm at sma school. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok7SiHgzp04
    They did what he wanted, so I guess it was successful. I love to watch JPthebeeman and Schawee, the bickering beekeepers.
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
    http://photobucket.com/MCBees

I wrote an ABJ article many years ago and explained the history. Now I'll have to look it up. Basically, the tanging has nothing to do with a swarm landing. In the days of old, prior to beekeeping in America, it was signal of ownership. If my swarm landed in your yard, it was yours...unless I chased the swarm with the clanging pot, etc., to "prove" ownership.

The vibrations mean nothing, the tone of the metal means nothing. Heck, if you follow a swarm long enough, far enough, and you're singing the Star Spangled Banner the whole way, that swarm is eventually going to land. I've heard you sing, "Happy Birthday," in Spanish and it will have the same affect. Just keep it up long enough for the swarm to land.

However....there's always someone who tanged a swirlling swarm down (only "works" on swarms in flight, BTW), and they will swear by tanging. So...it may not help, but by golly, it sure can't hurt. If I see a swarm in flight, I'm going to do everything possible, even if it means brushing up on my Spanish. So you guys just tang away. More power to you!

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

In my neck of the woods the old timers would pick up a piece of wood, a rock, or perhaps a dirt clod, what ever was handy and pitch it up through the swarm which would bring it down.

Last year I almost lost a swarm with a marked queen but I just happened to be at the hives when they issued and took flight, I quickly looked around and found a piece of wood 6 or 8 inches long and tossed it up through the swarm, they immediately dropped down and landed in a peach tree where I was able to retrieve them.

Big Bear, I look forward to video, it will be interesting indeed, I have never tried tanging.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

I thought Tanging Bees was a new way to feed them an tasty orange drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    ...The vibrations mean nothing, the tone of the metal means nothing. ...
    It is my understanding that bees are sensitive to vibrations, so it is possible that some frequency affects them. I saw a few videos on YouTube and authors swear that tangling works. I will try next time I saw swarm.
    Last edited by cerezha; 12-13-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    Серёжа, Sergey

Sergey, as you aught to know, perceived cause and effect is not always correct.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Sergey, as you aught to know, perceived cause and effect is not always correct.
    Well,it is well known that rhythmical noise/sound and/or movements have a pacifying effect on babies. It also used in many meditation practices. People tried to understand the phenomenon for centuries but without great success. Somebody even put meditating monk into MRI scanner. I guess, the problem is that it works (if it works) on higher level and interact with the body as a whole. Our western scientific approach is opposite - we believe that if we will disassemble the entire system and learn each tiny part, it shall help us to understand how the system works as a whole...
    Серёжа, Sergey

I read about this on the Internet a few years back and had a chance to use the tech-nick on two swarms, both in flight. I used a pipe and an aluminum pot both times. It did work and the in flight swarms landed on a low tree limb, easy to catch. From what I read the noise causes the bees to think bad weather and lighting are on the way and they need to land. Hope it works for you.

Thanks to all for your replies and comments.
    It seems like some people swear by it, and others are skeptical. Well, that's what an experiment is for, and I'll be sure to let everyone know if/when a paper comes out.
    In the meantime, I'm still interested in any historical accounts of the method, whether for bringing down the bees by mimicking thunder, or just letting your neighbor know that you're not trespassing for no reason. Published accounts are the best, just cause then you can cite something that others can check up on (as opposed to saying 'Mr. X says it works').

If you are looking for published/historical accounts of this you might want to take a look at the Foxfire books.

I to was wondering why anyone would want honey from Tang. Stuff never did taste good I think that is why UF came up with Gator Aid,

Not bees but look up alligators and B flat. Seems the male gators get turned on by a low B flat.
    Local news paper link http://www.sptimes.com/2007/06/10/Fe...sends_ga.shtml

Now on with the bee research.