Thread: uncapping tubs

Default uncapping tubs

Just wondering if anyone here has made their own uncapping tubs. I was thinking of making my own using totes. Cutting the bottom out of one and putting a screen in the bottom and installing a valve in the bottom one. If anyone has built one just wondering what would be the best dimensions for the totes.

Default Re: uncapping tubs

what would be best is a food grade tote. and stainless screen.

haven't built one yet, but sams club sells buss totes that would work perfect. 2 for 10 bucks I think.

I bolted two PVC laundry sinks together, attached a working platform to accommodate uncapping the frames. Used steel queen excluders and window screen to catch the wax. These are mounted two inches above the sink bottoms. Attached 2 PVC pipe with ball valves to drain honey that drips off wax capping. I drilled and installed emt conduit to stack frames for uncapping and uncapped frames awaiting the extractor. I can accommodate 24 frames between the two sinks. I got less that a hundred dollars invested.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

If you want to go even more "Bare Bones".
    I made a simple frame rack of wood - four legs, two long rails to hang the frame ends on, and two side rails to keep the thing together. This rack holds 20 frames that await the extractor. It sits on a low work bench. I cut and folded cardboard so that there was a simple offset "V" trough under the frames. It is important that the rack is high enough so that the frames clear this.
    On top of the cardboard I overlapped waxed kitchen paper.
    In operation: I uncap over a baking tray and then the frame is placed on the rack; The drippings flowed on to the wax paper and down to the bottom of the "V" in the trough; Then down the "V" to drip into a stainless steel bucket.
    I would love a proper uncappings tank, but am unsatisfied with the design/cost of the ones commercially available. I can see the quality ones are expensive because of all the materials and work in them, but why? Why so much stainless? Honey doesn't jump sideways - it drips down with gravity. The sides of the tank are superfluous, irrelevant and a waste of material. All that is needed is a trough wide enough to catch the drips below a rack to hold the frames on. It would be nice to have the trough in stainless, all I did was throw away the wax paper when it had dripped enough.
    It cost me nothing but a couple of hours planning and building: Most of the frame is made of maple that someone had left on a sidewalk with a "free" sign. The cardboard was to go in my recycling. The wax paper was in the kitchen already.
    Last edited by Adrian Quiney WI; 09-16-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: More info.