Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Refractometer sold by Brushy Mountain

All the various things proposed in beekeeping to save a few bucks and I get singled out as hyper paranoid because I ask a simple question relative to stated accuracy claims of refractometers....wow!

Of course the Chinese would never do anything to defaud the US. Those incidents with pet food, kids toy, and drywall - that's all behind us now.

Forget I even asked.

Quote Originally Posted by waynesgarden View Post
    It is probably good to test any instrument against others for purposes oif calibration, but to begin with a baseless assumption that a company might be committing fraud as the basis of the test is not something I would generally do.

But then again, I'm off to get gas for the car. On my way to work, Maybe I should stop at the lab and get the octane tested. I do spend far more on gasoline each year than I do on refractometers. after all.

And just how accurate is that electric meter the utility company has on the side of my house?

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    has anyone tried to validate the claims relative to the 90 ATC.
    I will be comparing results obtained with the 30ATC to this Misco digital unit used by a fellow beekeeper in the area. I couldn't bring myself to spend $350 so I am hoping the $100 unit lives up to its specifications.

Thank you. I look forward to seeing your results.
    Last edited by Barry; 09-21-2010 at 10:58 AM.

bmcmahon,

did you have a chance to do the comparison?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    bmcmahon,

Yes I would love to see the results also. Your fans are waiting.

I've been shopping around for the RHB-30ATC, but so far all I can find is the RHB-32ATC. It claims .2 % accuracy, and is available for $18.99 from National Industrial Supply in Torrance, CA, (calibrating oil does not appear to be included). That price seems too low, is it the same instrument?

I figured it out. The accuracy on this one is .2 % brix, which is 1 % water....

so the 32ATC listed here is like the 90ATC discussed above.

Here is some pretty good info from misco, the first three are some of their digital models and the last link is on why you can not measure honey moisture with a brix type of refractometer.

http://www.misco.com/products/BKPR-1.html
    http://www.misco.com/products/BKPR-2.html
    http://www.misco.com/products/BKPR-4.html

https://docs.google.com/a/tds.net/vi...MLDi6nW2rOEx_A

Thanks G3,

the misco products look really nice, but are a little more than i can afford.

the last link required a secure log in, so i couldn't see it.

lesson learned on brix vs. H2O, thanks again.

Not sure if this helps the discussion, but here are the specs on our refractometers. We have the ATC ($69.95) and non-ATC model (sale $49.95):

Our analog refractometers have a resolution of .1% and a reading scale of 12-30%. Both the BLU-2ATC (Automatic Temperature Compensation) model and the Basic (Non-ATC) BLU-1B model are factory-calibrated for reading moisture at room temperature (68˚F/20˚C).

The ATC model will compensate for variations in ambient temperature to maintain accuracy under various conditions.

The basic (non-ATC) model will need to be recalibrated to account for changes in local/area temperature before reading to maintain accuracy. Calibration is easy to do and takes just a couple minutes and this may not be an issue if you only use your unit seasonally.
    Blue Sky Bee Supply
    Quality Bee Supplies, Bees and Containers!

Squarepeg.............Sorry for the bad link

look on any of the first three pages close to the bottom left where you can "download a free copy"

It is a good read for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    bmcmahon,

thanks
    Yesterday I was about to post what I have learned but I figured I'd give it a day until the final resolve comes through. In that you've asked, I'll tell you where it stands as of now.

On September 16th I ordered and paid for the "heavy duty" version of the refractometer on EBay. Since then, I have not heard word one from the seller (ebay id: nis_sales. the store page shows as National Industrial Supply).

I called the phone number listed for them on 4 different occasions during normal business hours and got an answering machine. I left a message with my phone number asking for a return call. Nada.

The item is covered under a buyer protection program with Ebay. My money *should be* refunded by Ebay tomorrow. The feedback rating on National Industrial Supply is excellent but I won't be attempting any future purchases with this vendor.

It looks like the RHB-32ATC measures 0-32 degrees Brix, which is not suitable for honey. http://www.asianproducts.com/product...g-liquids.html

Look for RHF-30ATC. http://www.asianproducts.com/product...actometer.html. There are a couple listed on ebay. I got one last week and am happy with it.

I just got a digital one from Misco. It's made especially for honey and gives a direct %moisture reading. It was pricey, but I figured I should only need to buy one and the salesgirl actually talked me out of unneeded options.

Default nis_sales = Bad customer service

Quote Originally Posted by bmcmahon View Post
    On September 16th I ordered and paid for the "heavy duty" version of the refractometer on EBay. Since then, I have not heard word one from the seller (ebay id: nis_sales. the store page shows as National Industrial Supply).

I called the phone number listed for them on 4 different occasions during normal business hours and got an answering machine. I left a message with my phone number asking for a return call. Nada.

The item is covered under a buyer protection program with Ebay. My money *should be* refunded by Ebay tomorrow. The feedback rating on National Industrial Supply is excellent but I won't be attempting any future purchases with this vendor.
    I foolishly ordered the same model Refractometer from this guy on November 1st and still have not gotten it and he has not returned my calls or emails. I see there are many happy customers for the cheap beer refractometers, but I have a feeling this particular model is something he does not stock and has to special order. It would be nice if he would just let people know if it was not in stock.
    Another thumbs down for nis_sales!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12