Thread: Bee-Z-Smoker

Hybrid View

Default Bee-Z-Smoker

I am looking into purchasing a Bee-Z-Smoker and was wondering if there was anyone out there who has one of these and could share their experience. Thanks...

Default Re: Bee-Z-Smoker

My brother got one recently. He really likes it, especially when lighting up on a windy day. Wind is one commodity we certainly have in west-central Kansas. I think that one benefit alone is worth every penny, although I have to admit I don't own one yet. It blows a nice amount of cool smoke. We use Traeger or similar brand pellets so they're food grade. They light up nicely and burn a long time. My concern is if/when the battery gets low, there is no replacement like my cordless tools have. I imagine one just needs to make certain it's charged before leaving for the apiary.

I have to admit it works really well and it's just a matter of time before I pull the trigger and get my own. We did a talk to several hundred grade school students at a Kids Ag Day sponsored by the Chamber of Commerce two days ago. It was neat showing the evolution of bee equipment over the years - skep to Langstroth hive, wax sheets to Pierco foundation, smoking bush (photo of Bicorp Spain cave paintings) to my antique Woodman and finally using the Bee-Z. I give it a good score overall, but it does come with a hefty price tag. I'm considering a way to convert a standard smoker using a battery operated aquarium pump, but the 'toaster' element light up is really nice.

Thanks for your input. Is there anyone else out there? I am always just so skeptical of battery operated machines. The battery never seems to last and you have to replace them.

I got one sent to Australia and love it.

My dad laughed and laughed when I was telling him about it on the phone. Anyhow, he came to the farm for a visit. After seeing it in action, and having a play he says to me at the end of the weekend, can I buy him one? haha!!

He has had his for about a month - Still tells me how great it is. Loves the conveinience of it. Came in very handy for fathers day that one.

I reckon the unit needs a few small improvements. The air blower button is slightly clumsy to use with sticky gloves on - not sure how to fix that tho?

I am using a piece of foam to jam in the end to put it out. SOme kind of cork, or a built in metal slide would be good. Shaking the unit doesnt put it out for me like in the promo video. I rate it 9.6/10.

Pretty good rating! I think I am going to get one myself. Anymore comments?

There is a review of this smoker in the Tuesday September 14th diary posting at http://www.honeybeeworld.com/diary/default.htm