Last year I was mixing up 2:1 syrup in 1 gallon feeder pails with a wooden spoon - tedious and not that well mixed. This year I've found that my wife's mixer works well. Method as follows. My sugar is in five pound bags from Walmart.
1) Pour 1 quart of hot tap water into the mixing bowl.
2) Add a 5 pound bag of sugar, mix on "stir" or "2" whilst weighing out another 2 pounds of sugar.
3) Slowly pour in the 2 pounds of sugar with the mixer setting on "stir".
4) When the sugar is whetted in turn the mixer to "2" then up to "4".
5) Let this mix at "4" for another minute or two.
6) Turn the mixer down to "Stir" and then slowly pour in one more quart of hot tap water.
7) After another minute stop the mixer. Rub a little syrup between your finger and thumb. If it is smooth the syrup is ready to pour into your feeding pail, if not run it for another minute and retest between your fingers.