Thread: Smaller Bees

Default Smaller Bees

This is my first year with with a TBH. I beleive that the bees are smaller then the the bees in my lang hives. Has anybodyelse noticed any size diffence?

Default Re: Smaller Bees

I would not be suprised.
    I don't have a tbh, but over the last year I have been switching to founationless comb in my lang so I have a mixture at this point.
    What I have seen is that about half of my bees are around 2/3 the size of the original package and foundation only bees.
    Please note, these are not damaged crawler bees, they are fully active and functional bees. They forage, return with pollen, guard the entrance, and the most funny to see, is ride the drones out to chase them off at the end of summer.

Just to add to that, your Lang hives hives are probably using combs built on comb foundation, which (mostly) has a cell size stamped on it of 5.5 mm's, so the bees build their cells this size.

But many strains of bee, if left to their own devices, such as in a top bar hive, prefer to build a smaller cell size, often 4.7 mm's.

The larvae raised in these cells will be smaller than larvae raised in a larger cell. But, not to worry, if it's the way the bees want to do it, then it's right for them.

I have read that the smaller bee size allows the bees to forage over a larger area. Does anyone know if this is true? The difference they mentioned was rather extream like 1.5 miles for large bees, to 2.5 miles for smaller bees.