Question Propolis tincture questions

I am wondering what kind of results others have gotten using the grain alcohol method of making propolis tincture. The propolis I collected was from traps I put in the hives, and even after freezing it for hours it was very sticky. The end product is fluid, but when I mix a few drops in water, it turns whitish with a few clumps here and there. Also, if I spill some of the tincture, it is very hard to remove from counter tops & floors. (I sort-of made a mess when I was bottling it!) I have been giving about 15 drops in water twice a day to my daughter to see if it would take care of an ongoing infection she's had. She says she feels better, but I am wondering how safe it is to conitinue giving this to her, seeing what it does to anything I spill it on. Any advice?

Default Re: Propolis tincture questions

The small amounts of propolis I've harvested has always been scrapings from frames and boxes of honey supers, its not very fresh propolis so it has had time to dry out and harden, but I know what you mean about it being soft and sticky. I don't think I remember reading anything that would suggest the medicinal properties of the propolis are distinctly better with brand new propolis verses something thats hardened up a bit, although I would try to not use something too old. I keep my tincture in a dark glass bottle with a built in eye dropper so its not very messy but I do have stains in my bathroom sink from it that have been there for many months now, but thats normal, just like propolis stains on your fingers a day or two after working hives. When I add it to tea each drop does turn kind of whitish and possibly "clumpy", I don't know why it does that, if I had to make a guess at it which is only what this is, it would be that the propolis that was dissolved in alcohol is now able to separate out. As far as giving it to your daughter, if she is young say under 12 I don't think I'd give it to her at all and if she's older I would stop after a week or two, but I wouldn't worry about it being unsafe because it stains objects.
    For the love of bees

Thank you for your reply to my question.....that makes me feel better, I guess I made the tincture correctly. My daughter is almost 17, and I did stop giving her the tincture at about 3 weeks. I will wait and see how she is doing for a few weeks before I consider starting it back up.

Made some tincture with propolis scrapings. They also had wood and paint chips. Bought some 195 proof Everclear. Mixed some of each together. Once it seperates the everclear comes to the top but it is black.

Will keep it in the bottles for a while and then drain off using coffee filters. I have some clean propolis that I have gotten recently. Will try using the clean propolis and see if the everclear turns black.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Propolis is water proof.
    So when dissolved in alcohol and mixed with water it will separate and create a film the will stain. Clean the stain with alcohol.
    Propolis is safe internally and externally on wounds.
    Great for ulcers but the amazing effect is the 60% increase in pregnancy that can cause.

Thank you USCBeeMan and AndreiRN,

Wow, USC, I wonder where your bees have been...that's some dark propolis! Mine was a golden brown color.

AndreiRN, I've never heard about the increase in pregnancy with propolis...I'll be sure to use it sparingly...I'm closer to being a grandma than doing the mommy thing again!

I have some really clean propolis that I removed from a couple of my hives. Going to put it in the rest of the Everclear and see what color it becomes/
    De Colores,
    Ken