Thread: Bat Houses

Default Bat Houses

Has this been on the Forum before? If so, sorry.

What makes bat houses attractive to bats? Is there a bat attractant, like there is queen pheromone which is used to attract swarms?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Default Re: Bat Houses

Heard bad news for the bats this mourning. There is a virus called white nose that is invading the bat population, if not stopped bats will become extinct. Another thing they said i did not know, along with eating bugs they are a pollinater Jack

Old News, but good to hear it is still in the News. And yes, some bats are pollinators for some crops. Believe it or not, so are tractors. They were on the list when I was in school anyway.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

from what i understand its all about the three L's...south facing, high up, near water...there is no attractant i have heard of, but what i have heard is to put up as many as you can and at least one colony will call one of them home...maybe...they are pretty easy to build, the bats in our area are eithier the big brown (more in your area) and the little brown...check with your local DEC office they should have lots of info...
    good luck!

I don't have any myself but I have friends that do. They say there is not attractant in them.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

Back in NC, we had a colony that lived under our vinyl fake window shutters.
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

As far as I know, there's not an attractant except for having a suitable structure close enough to an area that bats like to hunt. I read an article in an issue of "Mother Earth News" awhile back that had instructions for building a bat house by draping old carpet scraps over rafters in a barn structure. It was pretty neat, but I don't have rafters in my barn.

I do have a cedar bat house that I bought, hanging on my garden shed within 50 feet of the creek, but haven't seen any bats in it yet.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

As far as an attractant, bat guano might work. I believe it is collected in the US at the Bracken Bat Cave near San Antonio, Texas. It is probably sterilized and sold as an organic fertilizer from specialty horticulture suppliers.

"All bats have a good sense of smell.... Bats also use smell to identify their own youngsters from a crèche of apparently identical babies, often in pitch-black conditions. They have scent glands that they use to mark themselves and other members of their colony, and probably also their roosting sites. Many of these scents are odourless to us, with our poor sense of smell, although some bats have a musky smell that we can detect." > http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/l...on3/index.html
    Last edited by Oldbee; 09-06-2010 at 12:14 PM.