Hybrid View

Default h) How do you install a package?

For discussion on the process of installing a package of bees into an empty (new) hive. Technique, best time of day, where/hoe to hang the queen cage, etc.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: g) How do you install a package?

Well when I install packages I do it different than most books tell you.

I don`t bump, dump or spray the bees I let the bees do the work.

With a box of new foundation I remove 5 frames, set the package inside of the hive, remove the "juice" can ( I have a cover for the hole ) then slide the cover off the hole just enough to remove the queen cage and slide the cover back over the hole and check to see if the queen is alive then with a large rubber band around the first or second frame I remove the cork from the sugar end of the queen cage (if its a wood cage) or the cap if its a plastic cage, I don`t put a hole in the candy because in these days most of the candy plugs are of a soft candy, then put the queen cage inder the rubber band with the screen down (candy plug on the end) then I slide the package next to the frames, remove the cover off the hole and put the top on the hive, and put an entrance feeder on the hive. Now the bees will crawl out to the queen. (if I have frames of honey I don`t feed sugar water)

Tine of day: I like to install then late in the afternoon, if its raining a bit just do it if its cool just do it,

Next day I go back and remove the package box and put in 4 more frames and leave the hive for 4 or 5 days then open and see if the queen is out (most of the time sh is out) if she isnt out then I let her out and put the 10th frame in the box.

I was tought this way and I think it is less stressful on the bees than some methods you will read about, here is a link to my photo bucket that showes this method from a book printed in the 1930s so it has been around for a while.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...g?t=1283606387

Thats my 2
    Have fun
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I'm glad this is the first post made. I like to install packages without dumping and bumping as well. There really is no need to do it that way for the beginner. The bees have already been through a lot of stress just getting to your location so why give them more stress?
    Regards, Barry

The problem with empty space (especially if it's at the top) is you end up with a bunch of wild comb that is another issue to deal with. I'd just as soon shake them in and not have that issue.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I've never had this be a problem since the empty space is only there for a day and the bees are themselves trying to get organized. Leaving it a week this way could certainly produce wild comb.
    Regards, Barry

I know a guy that laid the package on top of 10 frames on its side and put an extra box on and left it for over a week sshould have heard the story about wild comb

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman46408 View Post

With a box of new foundation I remove 5 frames, set the package inside of the hive.
    I've heard pawpaw tell many a beek this method. Seems like a lot less fly away this way to me.

LoneDrone & others

This is the way my mentor (with over 65 years of beekeeping) tought me and he has a book printed in the 30s showing this method, yes when they fly from the hive the then know where to return.