Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

How To Hive Tool Test A Queen

10K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  melliferal 
#1 ·
#11 ·
Great job on your video, But.....

Why was there never a cloud of smoke near the hive or smoke coming out of your smoker except at the end when you did the newspaper combine. Even then the smoke that come out was minimal and it was never blown "into" the hive. I agree that hive was aggressive but if that smoker was used properly they wouldn't be so bad.

Just like the media........:D

#12 ·
I was thinking the same thing as Shannon when I watched the video, "where's the smoke"? I have encountered hives much worse than that (i.e., not even being able to see through the veil there were so many bees on it) when not smoked, that act completely normal when smoked.

#15 ·
What bee jacket are you wearing? Looks like it's mesh, and the zipper for the hood looks better than mine.

It is an Ultra Breeze jacket. I have only been stung once through it, and that was when I was carrying a plugged out super. I pinched a bee between the box and my belly, and the box compressed the jacket just enough the bee could get her stinger through the jacket and into me.

My jeans on the other hand, are not sting proof...

Great job on your video, But.....

Why was there never a cloud of smoke near the hive or smoke coming out of your smoker except at the end when you did the newspaper combine.

YouTube requires I keep my videos less than 11 minutes. (They say 10 minutes, but you can go 10 minutes and 59 secs.) I recorded over an hour of footage to make this video.

When I edited the video, I tried to save the most important parts, such as when I was explaining things. It was not intentional, but blowing smoke at the bees was "dead time" that got edited out.

If you would really like, I can go back through the footage I recorded and find spots where I blow smoke at the open hive and tons of bees instantly go airborne. When I would smoke an open box, about half would go back down into the box, and the other half would go airborne.

It seemed as if the bees really hated smoke, even though it was cool smoke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.