Default How much honey to leave in for winter?

How much honey do you leave in for winter - and in a top bar hive, how do you measure it?

I figure it should be about 60lbs for a full 4' tbh which would be around 10 18"x11" bars (i think) but what about all of the honey through the brood nest? That's harder to measure - do you just estimate it all and try to come up with 60lbs?

How do you approach it?

Adam

Default Re: How much honey to leave in for winter?

Winters are variable. It is hard to guess how much is in there, and how much they'll use. If you want to play safe, leave all the honey on the hive and take your surplus in the spring.

Default Re: How much honey to leave in for winter?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    How much honey do you leave in for winter - and in a top bar hive, how do you measure it?

I figure it should be about 60lbs for a full 4' tbh which would be around 10 18"x11" bars (i think) but what about all of the honey through the brood nest? That's harder to measure - do you just estimate it all and try to come up with 60lbs?

How do you approach it?

Adam
    I have 1 tbh out here and i lifted 1 of the combs out and i'll tell ya, i had at least 15 pounds of honey on that one bar. I have 36 bars in my top bar hive. This is a cutout i did in may and they have only filled half of the hive. These girls are kicking butt. I have only opened up the hive 3 times since may and there is no problem at all with mites, or any other varmit or whatever with the bees.

I have another feral colony two hives down from the tbh and those girls are so docile their almost comatose. We plunged a chainsaw into the tree where they lived and they didn't even stir up. They went on making honey and collecting pollen as we were cutting them out. I personally am looking at just raising ferals if they are more docile than any of the carnies or cordovans we raise. Shoot, i dont have to work suited up at all with the ferels even when the weather is crappy.

I also found out yesterday that my foundationless frames that i make are awesome for them. They make awesome comb on them and attach it completely to the top. secondly of the hives i have bought bees that i put foundationless in and let them build natural comb, i have not had to treat once this year for anything. virtually no mites in them and like i have heard it said before, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I did lose 1 hive colony this summer to wax moths. the colony just dwindled away and nothing i tried could get it stronger. I don't know what happened with it. just no bees at all in it. In fact thinking about it, the bottom board was absolutely clean. nothing on the bottom.