Default Taping up top cover?

Hello all!

I've just recently started feeding my new hive with a box feeder on top after taking off my honey supers for the season so they can start producing food for the winter.

I've noticed that when I return to check on the feeder, there is huge bunch of drowned ants and bugs in the sugar water which I'm sure can't be good if left for a long period. So I decided I'd try taping up the top cover to keep the pests out.

My question is, will this impair good air-flow to the hive, or would this be ok? I live in south central Kentucky, its late in the summer, the hive is in a shady spot for most of the day, and the days haven't been as incredibly hot as it used to be. I would just like to be sure.

Thanks for all of your help

Default Re: Taping up top cover?

You need air flow most definitely! I would not tape the top cover, if feeding your bees with the box cover didnt work then try another way! I Feed my bees by inverting quart mason jars on top of the inner cover! I build my own feeders, its really simple! I make a 2 jar feeder, a 4 jar feeder and a 6 jar feeder depending on the size of the colony! The feeder is framed out using 1x2 pine lumber and 1/2 plywood on top. Then cut out the jar holes and staple #8 mesh wire on the underside so your able to change out the feed jars without having bees flying around, they are confined to the hive that makes it really convenient. You place it right on the inner cover and then use a empty super box on top then the top cover! Here is a picture of a jar feeder!

That's interesting, a colleague of mine at the local bee club had the same feeding outfit, and I was pretty impressed by it. Especially since during the winter, you want to keep the feed close to the clump when it gets cold. I think there's no question about it now hahaha

Thanks for the instructions and the insight

I feed this same way with one added feature. I cut 4 pieces of 3/4 insulation board and line the sides of the super on the feeder. You would be amazed at the difference of the sugar water temp with this around the top box to keep the hives heat around the sugar.