Thread: I have shb :(

Default I have shb :(

I'm in VA. I didn't think it was a big deal here. I found three live beetles in my combs today. Squished one, one flew away, one escaped. No larvae visible yet. I already got a trap and filled it with vinegar.

So depressed. It feels the same as when my kids got lice. Just this feeling of disgust and dread Hope the trap works....

Smile Re: I have shb :(

dont think they are as bad up their , I just lost on of mine that was a trapout. how do you think those in FL,GA, and the low states like the shbs , they are loseing hives every day .good luck rock.

Default Re: I have shb :(

Good point bbbb...

Welcome to the club, and as mentioned, get used to it. You will always have shb now. Trick is to keep them under control. You'll want to have several traps for each colony, and keep them in the hive year round.

I've gotten to the point where I have extra traps. If I inspect a hive, and the trap needs cleaning/emptying, I simply remove it for cleaning later, install a new one and it all goes quickly, minimizing the amount of time the colony is open.
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

3....wow...if only...LOL. You'll be ok. Just manage them and keep the bees strong. Do not offer too much room for them and sunlight does help, I assure you.
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

I had SHB just a month ago. Opened the hive and started seeing a few. In a few weeks started seeing a lot more. Took the advise of some people on here and took a thin cd case, nocked out the four tabs on the sides, they had some other stuff to put in, but I took pollen substitute I bought from rossmans apaires and put a small amount in the middle just to fill about one inche around, and surrounded it with combat platinum. Opened the hive today, 11 days later, no SHB alive but had about 2 dozen dead ones. Looked around the hive, and no live ones at all. Worked great. This is my first hive and I have already learned alot about feeding, SHB, and robbing. My hive is finally got honey in the HB and queen laying good, not great but good. Good Luck.