Default best oil to entice/lure SHB to beetleblaster? mineral, soy, olive, corn, etc

or some oil additive, to attract SHB to traps

Default Re: best oil to entice/lure SHB to beetleblaster? mineral, soy, olive, corn, etc

You don't want it to be too attractive or you'll be luring SHB from outside the hive! I use used vegetable oil that the restaurants usually throw out, but are now giving to me. SHB seem to like it better than clean oil.

Default Re: best oil to entice/lure SHB to beetleblaster? mineral, soy, olive, corn, etc

I used canola just because that is what I had on hand. I agree, I dont think it is supposed to be attractive.. just a trap.

I have a dummy hive set up in which I use the same formula that is used to attract wax moths. This is apple cider vinegar, sugar and ripe banana peels allowed to ferment. I put this in my traps and catch beetles by the hundreds, hopefully before they get into an actual bee hive.
    I also have some traps in this same dummy hive that is baited with pollen and honey but it catches fewer beetles than the other trap.

bees@mysite.com

How is your trap set up? do you have any pictures?

Thats an interesting idea but I'm skeptical of the idea of luring bees outside into a trap. It sounds too much like the japanese beetle trap idea..which resulted in "more" beetles in my yard not fewer.

The beetles are different from the Japanese Beetles in that the SHB is already lured to your beeyard by the bee hives. If not for the trap they would surely enter the hives. I have fewer in hive beetles now due to the trap hive. Of course, I still have to keep traps in all the actual hives.

I have an empty hive body on a plastic bottom board with the entrance restricted so that only hive beetles may enter. Inside I have Beetle Barns with Fipronil inside them. For a lure I use the wax moth bait made from vinegar, sugar and banana peels. This is also a trap as it is desiged so that the beetles may enter but cannot escape. I would not want Fipronil inside my bee hives but in the trap hive it works well and is of no harm to bees. I keep one frame of pollen and honey inside the trap hive as well.

I ate lunch last november w/ the guy who invented the trap, and he had me well versed in the way that it works. To the best of my knowledge use 20 ccs of any oil, the trap is designed as a hiding place.