Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Can you tell me what this is?

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Tia 
#1 ·
I went out to take a look at my hives this afternoon. I have 6 langs (3 are nucs) and one KTB hive. There was normal traffic, but at the top bar hive I notices a large number of bees with what looked like a white stripe right behind the head on the thorax. It looked like white fuzz. This is the first time I have seen this. Does this indicate any type of disease or could it be pollen? The marking was identical on those who had it. I checked all the other hives and did not see this. I have not looked inside due to weather, but will tomorrow.

Thanks,

#7 ·
It may be pollen from Spotted Jewelweed or Touch-me-not [Impatiens capensis]. It grows in lowland areas near the edge of woods or along stream banks; in shade or partial sun. It is blooming here now, and I see bees coming into the hive with these white stripes. Bumble bees and hummingbirds visit the flowers, but also honey bees. Interesting plant.

Some good photos [#3 to #10] and an explanation here: "Here's what the bee looks like when it's working the jewelweed. It took me a few weeks to figure this out. At the hives, I'd see bees coming in with these white stripes on their backs. I didn't realize it was pollen—I figured my queen had mated with some odd-looking drones." >
http://globalswarminghoneybees.blogspot.com/search/label/jewelweed?max-results=100

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.