Default Moved From One Tbh to another - wrong size!

The interior dimensions of the new hive are smaller, so the combs fit too snugly. So the combs don't have bee space along the sides. Will the bees create it? Or will they likely seal it all to the sides?

I've got about 5 combs all fused together in the brood area, and I feel like leaving it, rather than trying to break it all apart this late in the season. Anyone feel that's a bad idea?

Thanks,

Adam

Default Re: Moved From One Tbh to another - wrong size!

They'll generally glue them to the sides anyway, despite the slopes. I wouldn't worry too much about leaving those others propolized together, either.

Matt

What I have found in my hives is that bees do create bee space and for the most part do not attach to the sides of the hive. They may add a bit of burr comb, but this is easily cut.

I did move a comb from one hive to another and the comb was larger than my hive. This is my fault for not double checking measurements during construction. Anyway, the bees sealed the larger comb to the sides and just left space under the comb to move about. They built the rest of the combs sealed to the side. They used the larger comb as a guide, which was a press fit at that point. I now cut the combs a bit to allow for bee space when I do this and it works well.

I have also found that if proper bee space is created by the bees, they will seal a comb (attach to the side) to the side of the hive if I do not place it perfectly centered.

Quote Originally Posted by Cacklewack View Post
    They'll generally glue them to the sides anyway, despite the slopes. I wouldn't worry too much about leaving those others propolized together, either.

Matt
    Yeah, they usually connect heavy comb to the sides, but this is COMPLETELY connected top to bottom.

And the 5 combs aren't propolized, they're 'inter-combed'.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    Yeah, they usually connect heavy comb to the sides, but this is COMPLETELY connected top to bottom.

And the 5 combs aren't propolized, they're 'inter-combed'.

Adam
    I see. In that case I'd probably cut down the bottoms at least.

As to the "inter-combed" bars that's up to you. Sometimes I leave them, especially late in the season if they are full of honey or brood. If earlier in the season, or if there are plenty of stores in the hive I'll take them out to be robbed.

Matt