Default Disposing of Moth'd frames

I found 3 frames that were ravaged by moths. I took the whole hive apart and scraped out all of the larvae. I put it back together and temporarily chucked the 3 frames in a garbage can with a lid. Now I have about 100 bees or so hanging out on the garage can.

Anyone have any advice for what to do with these frames?

Default Re: Disposing of Moth'd frames

If you have chickens, it is feeding time. If you want to raise wax moths and small hive beetles keep the frames. If you want to prevent further damage to the rest of your bee equipment destroy the frames quickly. You can kill the moths (and beetles) in all stages with Para Dichlorobenzene moth crystals. Do not use Naptha moth balls. It is absorbed and will absolutely kill your bees. PDB can be aired out for re-use.

Will the paramoth kill SHB larva?
    larry

PDB kills shb, but in higher concentrations than for wax moths. I killed a super of shb last year.

Throw them in the freezer for 24 hours. It will kill and eggs, larva, or moths. Allow them to thaw for a few hours and through them back in the hive.

Yes, freeze them, let them thaw and let the girls clean the frame up. I had a shb infested frame recently that I froze, sprayed off the slime and placed back in the hive. 24 hours later, when I opened the hive, the frame was all cleaned up and they were rebuilding the damaged areas. Same with moth frames.

Thanks, guys! The frames are on ice. I took some before pics and I plan to snap some "afters" in a week or so after the girls have had a chance to clean them up.