Default Former chicken owner...

Greetings from Northern Illinois...I am so close to the Wisconsin border I can smell the cheese. My family and I are Brewers fans.

A couple months ago we lost our last two laying hens to the neighborhood fox. Now with the help of a older (retired beekeeper) gentleman and an aqauintance with about 5 acres, we are going to start a couple hives in the spring.

Of course now its read, read, read. I learned a ton from the chicken forum, and this site looks very professional and promising....Thanks!

Default Re: Former chicken owner...

You will like bees alot better than chickens. I do,we have both. This is a great place to learn. Alot of year of experience. Take care and good luck Dave

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernIllinoisPlumber View Post
    Now with the help of a older (retired beekeeper) gentleman and an aqauintance with about 5 acres, we are going to start a couple hives in the spring.
    You'll find your land base to be irrelevant. You don't need acres and acres of land to support bees. Your bees will fly over two miles, covering over 8,000 acres of your neighbor's land, literally "stealing" their nectar.

Of course, pollinating their crops is a nice trade-off so I don't feel guilty.

The only real reason to have "enough" land is to place your hives a safe distance from your neighbors so they feel comfortable (or enough land to grow enough shrubbery to conceal your hives).

Grant
    Jackson, MO http://maxhoney.homestead.com
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

NorthernIllinoisPlumber

Welcome to beesource from a retired Northwest Indiana Plumber
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Had chickens, have bees. At least the foxes don't give them any grief.

Have fun.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The only real reason to have "enough" land is to place your hives a safe distance from your neighbors so they feel comfortable (or enough land to grow enough shrubbery to conceal your hives).
    Exactly. I had enough room for the hens, but spacing the bees from the neighbors and backyard family activities would be an issue.

Welcome, everything has its challenges. If you have foxes, you probably will have a bear visit your hives too. You can fence them (even electric fence), elevate them, even strap it together with a steel cage. Bears love honey and they will go under, over, around, or through any obstacle you provide. I had a hive eaten in Florida. A couple ratchet straps have prevented a recurrance so far. I certainly do not want to discourage anyone from beekeeping, just encourage proper planning for success.