Default Solid Black Bees

Within a week of feeding sugar water I start to notice black bees. The same thing happened last year also. An when I say Black I mean solid black. I have pictures of them, has anyone else noticed this or have a answer to why the solid black bees are around. I see them going and coming in and out of my hives, but only in the late Summer after feeding.

Default Re: Solid Black Bees

Got some German genetics in your hives?

Maybe related, maybe not, but I notice shiny black bees at my hummingbird feeder. My theory is that they all cram in so close to get in there, that they end up getting all their orange hairs rubbed off, becoming dark and shiny... perhaps?

That is one answer I had never thought of, the bee are one the jars by the hundreds. An falling off in bunches, that could be a possible answer.

Last year we had really black bees feeding on the hummingbird feeder together with some of our bees. At first our bees were chasing them but then they feed together. I always wanted to follow them but that became difficult. This year, no hummingbirds and no black bees. Believe me, they were all black and the same size as our bees. Take care and have fun

From what I've been told, there used to be lots of solid black German bees kept by beeks all across the U.S. From experience, I've had a hive of ferals, and there were several smaller black bees in them. After I requeened they went away. The German bees were meaner and produced less than others. They must be very hardy bees as they are surviving in the wild obviously.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by valleyman View Post
    The German bees were meaner and produced less than others. They must be very hardy bees as they are surviving in the wild obviously.
    There's a bad joke in there somewhere... I'm not going to be the one to crack it though.

Robber bees are shiny and black looking.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Not all of the little black bees are mean. We had a swarm land about 10 years ago. They where gentle, and the most hygienic bees I have ever seen. My son used to sit in front of the hive, dropping dead bees on the bottom board, and time how long it took for a bee to run out and fly the dead bee away. Typical was 2-3 seconds.

Roland

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Why?

I believe from getting their hair rubbed off of them when they are competeing w/ other bees for the honey. I'm not sure. Does anyone else know?

When I have open barrel fed in the past I would notice hat those bees were shiny and just figured that they must have gotten some syrup on themselves in the process of gathering the corn syrup.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

They aren't acting sick, are they? I have some all black bees in my Russian hive but they are fuzzy, not shiny.

I came across this the other day when I was reading up on diseases.

http://www.ent.uga.edu/Bees/disorder...tml#chronicbee

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Do you think that it would do any good to tell my Italians, that look like Italians, that they are not supposed to be doing this because they are not black bees?
    I'm sure that from your vast experience there is truth to what you posted, but from my limited experience I've not seen many if any of my robber bees that were black. Just Italians, and yes there is limited differience in the way most worker genetics looks. the Cordovans, some will have an orange look, the Russians, some will be blacker, and I understand from pictures most Carniolians have more black than most.
    So much to learn, so little time!!

Quote Originally Posted by heaflaw View Post
    Why?
    all of their follicles have been ripped off...

I think it's probably guerilla bees. They often paint themselves with camoflage to more easily approach the apiary compound.

Could be shiny black hairless disease.