Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Robbing

6K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  David LaFerney 
#1 ·
WE got a call the other noght from a rather unhappy farmer where we have our hives on the cotton. THe hives are located at the back of his field, about 4 acres away, and in the mddle of the field, he has a sighting stand where he sites in his rifle. He was to go on a hunting trip in zimbabwe in Africa today and went out to sight in his new scope to rather dismay of a tiny tiny swarm on his stand. He was nice, but preterbed and by the time he called it was already dark. I went on up and got there about 1030 p.m. and found about 4-600 bees and one of my russian queens on the stand and scooped them up into a box and came home. I just dropped them into a 10 frame hive with a follower board and went to the italian hive and got some Nurse bees on 3 frames and some brood and nuc'd them down inside the standard box down to 3 frames...(i like this queen) Anyway, came hone today to this. Sever robbing going on so I thought i'd show you all. Yes, I am from Tn, yes, I have a Kubota, yes, I have a bad accent, and no, I cannot hold a digital camera straight..but, this should show new people what robbing looks like....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7nYrcX5a_Y

#3 ·
I did already, which was funny to watch because the robbers just lookmed and looked. There werent going to be any foragers because i added brood, so i just move it. Not far tho, just not the same location

#5 ·
Tried to point out the obvious..LOL. Love love love my Kubota. I am going to try and document some of these things so new beeks can see. I see a lot of repeat questions on the threads, which is really good, but then we can point them to things like this...

#6 ·
Tried to point out the obvious..LOL.
(The Kubota)

Love love love my Kubota.
Me too!

I am going to try and document some of these things so new beeks can see.
(so new beeks can see the Kubota in the background)

I see a lot of repeat questions on the threads, which is really good, but then we can point them to things like this...
Things like this? you mean robbing right? not the Kubota in the background?

:lpf:

#10 ·
I encountered the same thing with one of my hives yesterday.
I had moved a hive and had taken a honey super off with whatever bees were in it, and did a newspaper combine with a small hive from an earlier swarm.
I had propped the top so the bees that came with the super could go in and out. I looked out yesterday and they were being robbed, so I suited up and shut the top down and also reduced the entrance at the bottom. In a couple hours everything looked calm again. Bees keep things interesting, don't they?

#12 ·
Hey Dog, hope you had some provision for ventilation. That's not an accent. My son's band played out friday at the hotel where he works. There's a bunch of guys from Tennessee here to work rebuilding the hydro plant. THEY had accents. Great bunch of guys. They went nuts when the band played some Skynard, and a couple of them went out with us later. Had a great time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.