Default Failing Queen or laying worker?

I know this hive had a queen 3 weeks ago but now that I look at the brood I wonder if it is what it looks like when there are laying workers. Does the capped brood look bullet like?
    I know they have tracheal mites/ varroa. I put some menthol in the hive today. But I was unable to find the queen and the hive does not have enough stores for the winter.

any advise would be helpful. I just want to be able to over winter this hive.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5109110...7624634974607/

Default Re: Failing Queen or laying worker?

Looking at your pics I think I can see some capped worker brood mixed in with the capped drone brood (which is bullet like). I would say you have a failing queen and requeening is in order.
    A clear sign of laying workers would have multiple eggs in one cell.
    You will need to find and remove the old queen first.

I am not sure they have a queen. they are only on 3 frames and I couldn't find her and no eggs were present. I did give them a frame of brood/eggs yesterday. I guess I will wait and see what happens.
    Thank You

sure looks like a failing queen look to see if you have any remains of a hatched queen cell they just may have superseded if you don't see any it is need of another Queen.

there was a hatched queen cell. would they kill the old queen before the virgin queen returns? I did give them a frame with eggs on it. I am going to wait about a week and check to see if they are making queen cups.

A lot of the time when they superseded the old,or failing queen she some times will continue to lay until the new queen is mated and laying if the colony is strong enough they some times push her out with a very small cluster of bees,but she may of failed all the way before the new queen began to lay this may be your situation, I would look in the worker cells and make sure they are no workers laying eggs if not ck back in a week no more than this, if queen is not laying find you a mated queen from some where and put her in. Or go ahead and unit with one of your other hives double check the combs for a queen first there could still be a virgin in there if she has not found drones to mate with.
    Last edited by Velbert; 08-20-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Thanks Velbert,
    I checked on them today and found a queen and a small patch of eggs. so hopefully all is good for now.