Thread: Brood Disease

Salix, Pa, USA

Default Brood Disease

Hi. I checked my hives yesterday and found a small problem/disease in one of my strongest hives with the brood. The brood pattern is not spotty, but I have noticed scattered, various dead brood of different shades and color. Some are dried, some are discolored, and others were a little "rotten". This hive has been healthy all year and 2 weeks ago when I checked there was no disease present.

I did have a problem with European Foulbrood with one hive in early May, but destroyed that weak hive and all the equipment before I even obtained this hive which was created from a split off a different colony.

It does in some ways look like a Foulbrood infestation, but I always have heard that this was a disease that usually only affected weak hives at not usually at the peak of summer.

I was wondering if a strong mite infestation could cause this. I use screened bottom boards and have done powdered sugar dusting throughout the season.

I know I can send a sample of the comb to the Beltsville lab for testing, but was wondering if anyone knew if mites could cause brood to appear this way.

I guess it points the evidence away towards a mite infestation, but all of the affected brood cells are before they are capped. If I am right mites only reprodcue in capped cells. I wasn't sure if a heavy infestation could affect uncapped larva
    Last edited by Denon Carpenter; 08-16-2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: More Info

Default Re: Brood Disease

Quote Originally Posted by Denon Carpenter View Post
    I did have a problem with European Foulbrood with one hive in early May, but destroyed that weak hive and all the equipment before I even obtained this hive
    A bit of an overreaction, I'd say. Requeening with better stock is often sufficient.

I had some hives a few years ago that had a brood disease that was similar to EFB. Replacement queens from historically hygienic stock didn't help. I treated them with terramycin. It cleared up the symptoms for about three months. Then it came back. Having meddled with this handful of hives for a season and a half I decided to shake them out, destroy the comb and since it seemed site selective, I planned to abandon that location. I went to each hive and, lo and behold, they were all booming with beautiful brood....symptoms all gone. I've talked to another local beekeeper who had a similar experience.

I recently read a thread on Australian Mud (Muck) Disorder here and after reading the study, I've wondered if my bees didn't have something similar.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Heavener Oklahoma

Default Re: Brood Disease

Yes this could be caused by V-mites It is called vpms it is a virus brought on by having v-mites it usually will show up about now or what i have seen and the mite does not have to get on the bee larva. and Terrimician/powdersugar will help clear it up.

first time i encountered it in a bad way got out at my bee yard had 6-7 hives in this yard as i walked around i could smell a faint sour Oder they were 2-3 day larva dead kind of a brown color, at first i thought it was EFB.

medicated heavy with tm/powdersugar it i cleared them up