Hybrid View

Big Grin Deformed wings on some of the lady's

I saw some deformed wings on bees from a couple
    different hives. they were walking around unable to fly.
    should I treat right away or wait till fall? I have
    apiguard.

Default Re: Deformed wings on some of the lady's

Pull your honey supers off and treat.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

If you are taking honey, wait till after your flow. If you arn't taking honey (or planning on it) treat now.

You have to weigh the pros and cons of treating now or keeping the flow. If you do not treat, your hives will surely die in the winter....is that an acceptable loss if you get all the honey you can?

Quote Originally Posted by honeyshack View Post
    You have to weigh the pros and cons of treating now or keeping the flow. If you do not treat, your hives will surely die in the winter....is that an acceptable loss if you get all the honey you can?
    First of all, you don't know that they will die for sure this winter if you don't treat. I go COMPLETELY treatment free, and I have had DWV(deformed wing virus) in some hives for a couple seasons already. All hives have mites to some degree, you can't avoid them. My hives still have great brood patterns, are strong in bees, and produce lots of honey. The only time I see bees with deformed wings they are on the ground crawling, I have never seen them in the hive or on the entrance board. I have even seen healthy worker bees in the grass trying to carry away live deformed bees from the hive. I have plain Italian bees, no Russians, or any type of hygenic strains. I still say that the only solution to conquering mites is to let the bees handle the problem. Treating in my opinion only prolongs the mite problem we are going to have in the beekeeping community as a whole. Sorry I sort of got off topic a bit, but I had to vent. John

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    . I go COMPLETELY treatment free, and I have had DWV(deformed wing virus) in some hives for a couple seasons already. All hives have mites to some degree, you can't avoid them. My hives still have great brood patterns, are strong in bees, and produce lots of honey.
    Then i have to ask, what is your honey production like? Is it in line with your state or area average? Or is it higher or below? And if you see the DWV bees on the ground, how is it you do not see them in the hives?

The words "lots of honey" has different meanings to different people. If anyone however wants to gauge how their honey production is, they need to compare it to the state or area average.

I have seen a few post where some like for nature to take it's coarse letting the mites run there coarse if the hive is hygienic they will get rid of a lot of mites buy pulling brood out that are infected with mites.

Hoping the strong survive and when they do most may think they have a strain that show some resistance to the mites encounter.

Here are some thought I have been pondering.
    Say they do survive and make it through the winter and look good in the spring there is some other factors that could be the reason that they did pull through the winter into spring looking good.

It's more than just Hygienic that made there survival possible.
    #1 If you had a good laying queen that raised more brood than what the mites could inf estate.
    #2 This is made possible by a nectar and pollen flow at the critical time
    #3 or they could of had more pollen and honey stores and with a little stimulation feeding to spur them on to raise lots of brood.

The only bees that make it through the winter til spring are the bees that have been fed good while in the brood stage and the mites have not latched onto them, weaken them by sucking the life out of them.

If you treat, treat now to kill the mites so the ones raised in Sept,Oct will be the healthier ones that make it till spring

One thing I have not figured out some don't treat when mites are bad to help them BUT when they are out of stores they will FEED so they will survive.

To me a true survivor is one with no intervention from man

I would use apiguard or the formic acid pad

Be careful with the apiguard when it is 90 and above if you get the 6lb tub don't put on a full dose (50 Gr) read instructions - may be 1/2, and this will depend if a (double deep) or if in singles cut back dosage more, as the box size get smaller. Then in 2 weeks after the first dose, if the weather cools off put on a little more that what the first dose was.

If the value of the expecting honey has more worth than a strong hive, let your bees work. If not, forget all future honey flows, treat now.

Big Grin Re: Deformed wings on some of the lady's

what about with the nuc's? I have 3 in 5 frame Boxes,
    go ahead and treat them to???

Big Grin Re: Deformed wings on some of the lady's

and it's August.