Default Uh oh -- SHB found in some of my hives in Central PA

Today, i went out and opened up my hives in my one yard and saw small numbers of small black beetles running with the bees on inner cover. I did kill those that I could see. I never had to worry about them before. The only difference in this yard is that I had purchased a sizable quantify of hives and placed them there. Don't know if the beetles came from those hives or not.

I am hoing that the SHB won't survive the winters up here. I have already harvested my honey. Are the northern beeks taking up preventative measures as the southern beeks are doing. Thanks.

Default Re: Uh oh -- SHB found in some of my hives in Central PA

If you are lucky, they did not look like this!
    http://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=small hive beetles&flv=1
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Unless you are seeing that they are doing actual damage, I am going to predict that they aren't going to be a problem for you. As long as you keep strong colonies.

Mostly they are a problem for Northern Beekeepers who are migratorys who winter in FL, take off their citrus honey, ship it to their honeyhouses in the north and let it sit for a month or so until they can get to it while the bees are in the orchards.

I haven't heard of any smaller beekeepers having problems. I haven't had any problems w/ SHB and I know that I bring them north from SC each spring.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

While I haven't seen any in my hives, so far, I have seen them in other beeks hives and most of the guys that I deal with have seen them also, usually on inner/outer covers or pollen patties. I was told that it is definitely gross when they are multiply in pollen patties, but, yes, they are here and you will probably have a hard time getting away from them now, as last winter was probably one of the worst winters we have had in a while and it really didn't make a dent in the SHB population, unlike the bee population. I have been using some SHB prevention, full sun and matting under the hives, so they can't get to the ground to reproduce.

As for myself I have zero tolerance for the pests, my neighbor on the other hand thought that as long as he didn't see any more than ten or twenty he was allright.
    He lost two hives, filthy w/ maggots and beetles and the colonies had left. Sure hope he froze everything like I told him to.
    So yes, I can say for certain w/ the hot spell we've got they can take over a hive.