Default Hello from Maine

Hello all,
    I've been quietly enjoying the forum for a few months now. I've recently become quite enamored with bees, and I expect I'll have a bunch of questions in the near future. I figured I'd introduce myself and say "hi" before flooding the board with posts. Hi!

Several years ago, I bought a hive setup (2-deep Lang) and placed an order for a package. The package didn't come. I lost interest and forgot about my equipment. It remained painted, wrapped, and stored for 6 years.

This spring (May 17), I spotted a swarm (most likely from one of three nearby small apiaries). I was able to capture it, hive it, and not kill them. They've been a little slow to build up and draw out comb. But, they're alive, healthy, trucking in pollen, sucking down the syrup, building comb, and propolising like no tomorrow- I'm happy.

Thanks!
    Chris

Default Re: Hello from Maine

Hello and Welcome!

This forum is a great place to learn more about bees & beekeeping. I'm sure you'll find it a very useful resource.

Have you found a local beekeeping club? Clubs are great for finding mentors and getting connected to local beekeepers:
    http://mainebeekeepers.org/chapters/index.html

Welcome Chris!
    Might want to check out the Cumberland County Beekeepers. I think you can get to them from the link posted above.
    Good Luck!
    Mark

Welcome to the site!

Capturing a swarm is a very fun and rewarding way to start. Enjoy!

Welcome Chris, free best are the best! They will get it done before Winter sets in.

Welcome, Chris. Nice to see yet another Mainer here. I've found this site to be a great resource, with plenty of wisdom from which to draw. See you around!
    Cindy
    Don't be afraid your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.