Thread: first post

Default first post

I am a 4 year beehaver and working to be a beekeeper. Civil engineer with 6 hives. Lost 4 last year. Started 2010 with 5 nuks and a small fistfull of 09 bees. Replaced the queen in the one small 2009 hive and she is doing well. Hive beetles probably were my problem but none around this year so far. Looking forward to helpful advice. Benny

Default Re: first post

Welcome, sounds like you had plenty of learning opportunities. Do you use any natural controls for Varroa and small hive beetles like screened bottom boards, oil traps, grease patties, etc.?

Welcome. THere is a beek in your area that is on this website. He goes by standman.

Nice guy.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Welcome Clarksville, have you considered a local beekeeper's association? A mentor would be happy to walk through your hives and give you some pointers.

Thanks, I do have screen bottoms and am working on mite control with traps and some medications. Still finding what is right for me.

Quote Originally Posted by USCBeeMan View Post
    Welcome. THere is a beek in your area that is on this website. He goes by standman.

Nice guy.
    Thanks, I'll look for him

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
    Welcome Clarksville, have you considered a local beekeeper's association? A mentor would be happy to walk through your hives and give you some pointers.
    I am pretty active with our MCBA (Montg Co BK Assoc). They have been very helpful whenever I ask.