Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Anyone familiar with Anise Hyssop for bees?

Iam waiting to see if last year's anise hyssop has seeded around the raised garden bed and hope to transplant once they start growing. Has anyone had experience with transplanting the young seedlings? I have three plants from last year that have died back, and hope to plant a couple dozen this year either by buying from the nursery or transplanting my own seedlings if they come up. This is my first experience with anise hyssop so I don't know what to expect.

beecuz

" ...for breath is sweeter taken even as the last in places dear...with gardens, fields and dogwood trees...in forest stands of bamboo shoots...of ginger root...and honey bees..."

The plants that died back should return more vigorously in spring. That's what ours did. They die right to the ground and sprout back. You should also get some seedlings around that area which should be easy to transplant. All the ones I have transplanted here have survived.

Thanks, Aprici. I notice mine are already starting to sprout around the base of last year's plants! Love the Anise Hyssop!

A variety of anise hyssop, called "horse mint" grows wild around here. And it is a BIG bee favorite.

Wildseed Farms out of Fredericksburg, TX sells horse mint seed. I have planted some for this spring, and will keep you updated.

Good luck!

Summer

I just purchased a packet of 100 seeds. The directions on the packet says that the seed have to have light to germinate. I wonder if I should just sow them on top of the ground or try to start them in pots and just set them out.
    Good luck to all that wants to plant a couple of acres as the seed are very expensive. It's good to know that they reseed really good.

They seem to germinate much better on top of the soil, being kept slightly damp until they sprout. I tried planting them indoors in peat pots and covering them with soil, and the seeds rotted. As soon as I sprinkled them on top of soil and kept them misted with water, they came up profusely. They will reseed in the garden like crazy, you won't believe how many will come up. Good Luck, John

To those of you that are having trouble starting from seed. I have had great success using jiffy peat pellets in their plastic "greenhouses" which are available from lowes and walmart. The peat pellets aren't what makes it work, you can just use potting soil in the tray. The clear covers keep the humidity levels high enough to allow the seeds to germinate while they sit on the surface of the soil. As stated before, the seeds require light to germinate.

Thanks, guys! I have a small greenhouse where I start my veg. plants. Per your info, gonna start them on top of moist soil in cups of potting soil, set them out and hope they multiply like crazy!

I sowed my seed directly on the ground, scratched it around a little, kept it damp, especially on sunny days. It did take a long time for the seeds to germinate, and the seedlings were surprisingly tiny. but once they got going, they were fine.
    Out of a whole packet I got about a dozen plants. But once those plants get big, they are very sturdy and will drops thousands of seeds each year. It's the getting things going the first few plants that takes a while. You might consider buying one or two mature plants the first year, in addition to planting seed.
    I got one that had white flowers. The purple ones seemed to have two colors- one darker with darker blueish-green leaves and the other lighter purple with yellowy-green leaves. The bees favored the darker plants.
    Last edited by Omie; 03-05-2011 at 02:17 PM.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Thanks. I hope the seed I ordered are the darker plants.
    It stands to reason that seed sowed on top of the ground outside are at the mercy of the birds etc. But they do require light to germinate. Maybe when the plants reseed the birds will miss enough to get a good crop going.

I think cold stratification is also required. Possibly only with the strain of plants I have though. I has to put mine in the freezer, on moist sand for 25 days before they would germinate. Once I started doing that I have not had any problem getting them started at all.

Package suggests sewing in the fall, on top of snow, for best results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12