Hybrid View

Default Are attachments from comb to top-bar support an issue?

How do I keep bees from making connections from the comb to the support that the top bars sit on? (The support is about 3/4 of an inch thick--that's the vertical space before the box starts slanting in.) Or if they do, will the connections be light enough that I can just break it without damaging the primary comb?

Thanks!

Default Re: Are attachments from comb to top-bar support an issue?

??? ??? Do you have a picture?
    The bars usually rest on the top of the slanting wall.

Mmmm... Don't laugh too hard. Its my beer-cooler-observation-nuc. Cost me about $15 to make. Now I just need to see if the bees will cooperate... (its gonna stay in my garage and live under a drop cloth to keep out the light when I'm not gawking at them.)

I'm not yet done with the bars--I need to put a 45 degree angle on both sides and fill the trough with beeswax (seeing if the combo will 'help' the bees keep things straight). I'm also considering putting that same 45 degree angle on the ends of the bars so they sit lower on the supports, and maybe avoid this problem.

I'd put something more than a groove. popsicle sticks? These help a lot for strength. It could get awfully hot in there...

Adam

You could cut notches in the ends of the top bars, so they lock into position on the supports. That might help with your anticipated issue. Their might be some trouble with attachment of comb, cutting the top bars into a v-wedge shape between the ends (which should remain flat), inserting and fastening a piece of wood in the groove, or even filling the groove with beeswax that projects 1/8" above the surface, and other methods, may help with attachment. Most important is to always be aware that you are handling top bar combs, one momentary movement in the wrong way can destroy any attachment. You might need to work with it as you get used to your observation top bar hive.

Here is a link to an illustration of what I am talking about Stylized Top Bar Design.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 08-08-2010 at 09:10 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

If the bees observe "bee space" they should not attach the comb to the side support. However, they most likely will. If they do, you will have to cut through it during inspection. They will also glue the bars down with propolis.