Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question Re: Proper use of a heated bottling tank and choosing right size?

Quote Originally Posted by StevenG View Post
    The lids on those stainless steel storage/bottling tanks are not airtight... is there a problem with moisture gain in the honey, if left in the tank for several months?
    Regards,
    Steven
    When you say problem??? All my tanks have pretty much the same type of lid.
    http://s562.photobucket.com/albums/s...3Dbeeeq007.jpg
    The humidity on a summers day here can be a steady 80-85+% and the honey will sit in them for up to a year. I don't really measure the honey's moisture levels. This is why I ask you what is it you mean when you say problem?
    “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.”

Default Re: Proper use of a heated bottling tank and choosing right size?

Bermybee, you have a sweeeet honey house. I like the layout and flow. Well thought out!
    www.maxantindustries.com
    American made Honey Processing Equipment "Built to last a lifetime"

Maxant thanks. Rome wasn't build in a day but it's getting there.
    “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.”

Bermybee, that is a serious extracting setup for a sideliner! Congratulations!
    Now, re: "Problem"... I don't know if there's a problem or not, that's why I asked the question. From your reply, you've discerned no problem, and I would think that's good news. Thanks!
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Thumbs Up Re: Proper use of a heated bottling tank and choosing right size?

Steven thanks. I will say before I got the Maxant bottling tank our honey used to crystallize after being in the air-conditioning at the supermarkets, some years more than others (bottled cold right out of the vats). We used to use exclusively 1 liter and 1 gallon clear glass rum bottles. After being constantly bugged by costumers for smaller bottles and getting tired of paying too much for rum bottles from Bacardi or Goslings I decided to go PET. But first I needed to stop crystallization, because in my experience plastic would only make things worse. After getting the temperature processing right on the bottling tank and testing it on the glass bottles for 6 months I ordered the PET bottles. Bottling is a lot easier and faster, and I have not had a complaint or seen any crystallization since. Now how much moisture absorption had to do with the original crystalizing I don’t know. The other major beekeeper always has a serious crystallization problem and he likes to bottle hot, unsettled, filtered honey right after extraction. I have replaced the 1 liter glass bottle with a 3 pound bottle, now I have costumers that complain about getting a spoonful less of honey and the possibility of plastic leaching… I can’t win. O well you can’t please everyone.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 01-25-2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: UNQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12