Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Attn. MANN LAKE shoppers

I had to buy some more goodies so i decided to take 3 different bee supply companies and check every item on my list to see what i would save on which items..."Yes Im a smart shopper"" these days you gotta be and with bee supply prices makes it even more demanding and with shipping charges on top of that well do i have to say anymore!! Well after going through several different items my results pointed to one company, Mann Lake! Since Mann Lake out priced the 2 other bee supply companies that i used as examples..(I Wont Mention Any Names..HAHAHA) I didnt have to compare the shipping charges since my order was over $100, YES I HAD A BIG LIST, im a addicted beekeeper!..hahaha...So needless to say it was hands down, didnt take no brainer to figure this one out thats for sure...Way to go Mann Lake, Keep up the good work and thank you for the great prices and the Free Shipping! I will be back once a mth....

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Call about 5000 preassembled frames. $2.10 with free shipping. $1.50 if I paid shipping. Shipping quote was $1075. Might have to make a trip in the off season.
    Ordered around 5000 preassembled frames from them a few years back, huge mistake. About 25% of the foundation werent properly installed so 3 of us spent the better part of a day fixing them but that wasnt the worst of it. Little or no glue was used and the stapling job was so poor that they routinely just fall apart while we are handling them. Usually have a pretty good bunch of them in the scrap pile after a day of extracting. The quality of the frames themselves are actually quite good though. From now on I will never trust assembly to anyone else.
    Last edited by jim lyon; 08-30-2010 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typo

one year they did have problems with the machine that snaps the foundation in. also i think it was 2008 they came out with the frame the had a 1/2 inch thick bottom bar. we ordered 6000 deep boxes from them that year. it was a really nice frame but the only problem is that the bottom bar was also VERY wide. we put boxes of foundation on that year and if the frames were not perfectly straight, the bees would seal the space between bottom bars. this allowed no traffic through some of the frames. some of the frames didnt get drawn out and when we went to pull honey the bees couldnt run through some the frames because they were sealed together. took alot more time to pull the frames out and shake the bees off. we made numerous complaints about the design and it was changed. they are now using longer staples also. i truely believe that mann lake has many great product for a great price. their place in Minn. is pretty amazing. i would like to know of any other place where you can order thousands of boxes and they come fully assembled, green treated, and have the assembled frames and foundation in them done in a few days. they are truely innovators and we should be lucky to have a supplier like this in the bee industry
    Greg Stahlman; Stahlman Apiaries Inc.

Yeah I probably should have qualified my criticism a bit. I do think they do a lot of things well, they wouldnt have had the growth they have had if they werent. I do a lot of business with them because they have the ability to fill large orders with generally good quality products. I usually buy 5 to 10K frames every year from somewhere, lately its been Dadant. Yeah I was a little unsure about the heavier bottom bar, didnt realize they did a redesign, but I have decided it may be a good idea. I just get aggravated on a daily basis having those come apart on us, like Cousin Eddie said in Christmas Vacation "its the gift that keeps on giving Clark".

Jim- why not go to paris when you are down here? Ray has a huge warehouse and good prices.

just did my first beekeeping purchase,,two deep,three medium ,a top with inner, a bottom , a excluder,frames with foundation,and all of it was only $217.00 shipped all the way to colorado! i think thats a good deal??

Just ordered $500 worth of stuff. Came out to be only $30 more, which would have been my gas money driving 2 hours one way to pick it up.
    Noticed some items increased price but if you buy bulk, 5 or more for some, it's not as expensive.

I was looking for shrink wrap for the clamshell box's for cut comb honey and found some here. Thought I might pick up a few extra clam shellboxes. WRONG not at this price! Almost $40 for 100 clamshell boxes, plus shipping!! I will still get the shrink wrap but even that is almost $16 plus almost $9 for shipping!! It adds .20cents per box but think it is worth it to seal the box's. Never tried it so hope it works well! I am a bit clumsy so may be sorry I tried to use the shrink wrap!! I am not in it for the money it is just a hobby I am TRYING to break even on!!

I have always liked Mann Lake. Just wish they
    stocked the Jester Nuc boxes!! Those cardboard
    are horrible.

If you are in the upper midwest designate Speedee
    Delivery as your shipping option. Way faster and
    a lot less $$$.

I love doing buissness with Mann Lake. With their free shipping, I make out like a bandit. Plus the fact that I have been informed that I have a nice chunk of change (money) there with bee bucks

It may be good for those far from a supply point, but the free shipping came with a price increase. Since I'm close enough to pickup there is little advantage in free shipping. Prices on some of the items which I've purchased have increased 50% within a year. Still, they seem comparable to other suppliers; it's just that they were so low last year.

The other issue I had with this is that they concurrently changed where the bulk price breaks occur. I had planned both prior and upcoming purchases according to those breaks; now that is all messed up.

Every distributor has it's pros and cons and offers different products. It really do's pay to check around for what it is you need. I never had to buy things in bulk so that didn't affect me. I understand everyone has various pricing, but for the clam shell box's and labels there is a significant difference in price! I have nothing against Mann Lake or any of the distributors I have used. But if you just need 100 or so clamshell box's I would shop elsewhere and save a few dollars.

I guess I just find this kind of marketing a little "gimmicky", nothing is free of course it is just included in the price. I would much rather get their best price on items and then get the best shipping rate available.

It was said earlier, that they offer different prices for pickup.

I can say that even with the price increase, it was cheaper for me order fomr Mannlake and get the free s/h. Than to order from someone else and pay s/h.

I agree that it's a little meh, but it's still been cheaper for me.

i received my items friday,,,,was way-pleased!! packaged great,and everything was good quality !! i could not have gotten all that from anyone else including shipping for less !!! THANK YOU MANN LAKE you have a happy customer here !!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Honey Householder View Post
    Call about 5000 preassembled frames. $2.10 with free shipping. $1.50 if I paid shipping. Shipping quote was $1075. Might have to make a trip in the off season.
    Are these deep frames? I'm just thinking this through out loud here.....

Free shipping quote on 5000 frames comes to $10500 ($2.10 X 5000)

Paid shipping quote on 5000 frames comes to $7500 ($1.50 X 5000)
    and even with your shipping quote of $1075
    that's a total of $8575

So....free shipping comes out to almost $2000 more expensive.

By the way, I ran a shipping quote on 5000 deep frames from Polson, MT to Cincinnati, OH since I don't know exactly where you are in Ohio. Approximately $670.

Rick
    Western Bee

This whole conversation makes me happy I'm a spreadsheet penny-pincher when it comes to order anything. I like to make a big list of equipment I want, and then go through catalogs and put in prices, shipping, etc. Then I take my list to the local shop and buy anything there that's cheapest and cherry-pick my orders from different suppliers.

Of course, that's only for tiny orders compared to 5000 boxes and frames, but I find that running the numbers is always a good idea.

We ordered some candle molds. They forgot to send us two items. We called and they are shipping it tomaroww.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

I just got my order of frames and foundation. They look good, only one issue with the order. They forgot to put half of the side bars in the order, so the number of side bars equaled the number of frames. I called them and they were very apologetic and offered to ship them out today.

My personal opinion is that everyone can make mistakes, what separates a good company from a bad one is how the respond. Mann Lake took care of the issue right away in a sincere manner. To me that is the mark of good customer service.

Dan
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

Quote Originally Posted by wbee View Post
    Are these deep frames? I'm just thinking this through out loud here.....

Free shipping quote on 5000 frames comes to $10500 ($2.10 X 5000)

Paid shipping quote on 5000 frames comes to $7500 ($1.50 X 5000)
    and even with your shipping quote of $1075
    that's a total of $8575

So....free shipping comes out to almost $2000 more expensive.

By the way, I ran a shipping quote on 5000 deep frames from Polson, MT to Cincinnati, OH since I don't know exactly where you are in Ohio. Approximately $670.

Rick

Western Bee

Looks like free shipping isnt really........FREE!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast