Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: We've come a long way in 60 years

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    They aren't colorized black and white photos? I'll have to go back and look again.
    Those are color slides. True to life as it were.
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

Oh, okay, thanks. I'm sure that I have seen some of them in black and white. Either that or similar such subject matter from the same time period in black and white.

The John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC and Berea College, Berea, KY, have some sets of photos from between the wars that illustrate rural life at the time. I wish I could remember the photographers name.

It's nice to see people in their natural state, sans smiles that is. True emotion. Not "Smile for the camera now Honey."

I wonder if some smart person, through the internet, couldn't look through all of the Degareotypes from the Civil War and find similar photos from Iraq or Afghanistan? Side by side, that would be a statement. Or photos of relief efforts from post WW2 Europe and post Haitian Earthquake.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Pictures of something I've always seen in black and white are somehow a lot more moving in color. Thanks for posting the link.
    --
    Take everything I say with a grain of sand.

i am trying pretty hard to live the simple life right now. and i was raised by people from that time period and really miss their values in the world today (i try to keep their values alive in my life). as to the simple life it is hard work and keeping it simple and deliberate seems like the hardest part. i am trying to get the garden canned, the freezer full, a winters worth of money in the bank, teach my children everything school doesn't, get vehicles ready for winter, firewood in the shed, honey off the hives, and the wife comes in and says "you need to get a passport my parents are flying us all to singapore in december." what's singapore got to do with anything? who's going to feed the dogs? or shovel snow? thats during duck and goose season. simpler times seem pretty good to me. ungrateful justin