Default Add another hive body to increase hive size / stores for cold winter?

hello all. I have 2 hives going strong right now. I live in Northern California where it gets to be subzero in the winter. I have been reading up on how to best overwinter them and have read that good stores is the most important thing. If I add another hive body, will the bees be able to fill it by winter if I supplement enough? Or should I go about it another way?

Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Add another hive body to increase hive size / stores for cold winter?

I understand that unless your hives are just plain too small, winter stores are much more influenced by available forage than by hive size.

We're in SE PA with a couple hives. Right now is a traditional dearth with very little forage. In the fall it picks up. I'll feed before winter if they look light.

Since geographic conditions greatly influence beekeeping, IMHO your best guidance will come from local old timers.

Default Re: Add another hive body to increase hive size / stores for cold winter?

Hi Welldrainedsoil,
    What configuration are they in now? Single deep? Double deep? Are you thinking of adding a deep? A medium? And what type of foundation will you be adding; drawn but empty comb, undrawn foundation? Local beeks are your best resource, but if you want our opinions, you need to give us a little more information.