Default Cleaning Honey, pail filters

I just finished my first extraction.... WOOT!

I got about 8 gallons from 3 medium frames (edit... supers... dooh :0).

Now I'm cleaning up and it really is tough to get all the little wax out of the stainless pail filters. Any tricks you guys use?

I also ran into frames that had some pollen in them and processed that with the honey. What do you guys do with that?

Thanks for any help.

Stan
    Last edited by Nephidoc; 08-01-2010 at 06:23 PM.

Default Re: Cleaning Honey, pail filters

Congrats on your first extraction!! 8 gallons from 3 frames??? You must have some HUGE frames!! I chuck mine in the dishwasher. I also use a nylon straining bag which removes most of the larger deposits of pollen.

LOL I meant supers... OKAY!!! I'm a little excited!

HEHE!! I understand completely but HAD to comment!!

I bring mine over to the kitchen sink use the spray arm with hot water. Cleans it real good.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Here, Anything with capping wax on it get cold water first. It releases the wax so there is no residue or build up in the strainer or straining cloth. The straining cloth can then strain well over 1200 pounds of honey. Once the wax is gone, hot water to clean

Smile Re: Cleaning Honey, pail filters

I spray mine with the garden hose in the opposite direction, ie from the bottom. Don't try to scrape it & force it into the screen. Don't ask how I know.
    Dan

Pollen in the honey is a bonus and I love it when I get some in mine. Wax stuck to the stainless steel filter is a pain. I'm careful to avoid it but when it does get stuck, boil some water and pour it over the filter. That will remove the wax. If your tap water is hot enough, that may work as well but mine isn't quite hot enough.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I use two metal filters. If I use cheese cloth (can buy this in the grocery store) over the filters, clean up is easy and you just discard the cheese cloth. If I don't have any cheese cloth and wax gets in the top filter, I use hot water and one of those little brushes made for cleaning vegetables. Very easy.